Thread: SSB Test

Default SSB Test

Hi All - I know I'm not yet single handing my new-to-me beast of a boat, but I need to run an SSB test as we prep for the crewed TPac.

we're replacing the soft backstay & antenna with a new one, so thought it would be best to test pre and post.

Anyone around their boat Saturday that could set up a little chat to test? We'll be at RYC so maybe someone up in Vallejo or over in Alameda?

Greg Mitchell greg.mitch63@gmail.com
    Adrenalin

As an offering - As I was going through boat parts I've got a MOB pole from my old Express 37 for anyone who needs one...

Hi Greg,

Based on past tests we've done in SSS, I don't think that's far enough. Your transmission will skip right over anyone that close. Before PacCup, I motored around the end of the spit off RYC and anchored (to get away from all the masts, etc.) then talked to Paul aboard VALIS up in Puget Sound. He may be back up there now - set up a time and give him a shout.

paul@sailvalis.com
    Last edited by BobJ; 05-13-2015 at 07:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    Hi Greg,

Based on past tests we've done in SSS, I don't think that's far enough. Your transmission will skip right over anyone that close. Before PacCup, I motored around the end of the spit off RYC and anchored (to get away from all the masts, etc.) then talked to Paul aboard VALIS up in Puget Sound. He may be back up there now - set up a time and give him a shout.

paul@sailvalis.com
    Thanks - one possibly good option is testing while we're on the Spin Cup next week - somewhere between Santa Cruz and Monterey - around dusk.

Or, on the way back as we're using it as our qualifier and cannot stop.

Here are a couple of SSB websites, if you haven't seen them already.

1) http://www.latitude38.com/features/S...l#.VVS8H4XAiKw

This is an article by Gordon West on the Lat. 38 website, so you can find it there. Gordo makes an offer to hook up from S. California, although the article has been around for awhile and he might have changed his mind. Some good, basic info.

www.farallon.us/webstore/Pcup%20SSB.pfd.

2) Eric Steinberg, Farallon Electronics, has a nice informative article about SSB. He includes some info about an emergency antenna - just a piece of insulated 12/16 gauge wire. (Matter of fact for the 2010 PacCup on a Wyliecat 30 our primary antenna was a random length piece of wire from the recycle yard (cost $2.00) from the bow to a fitting 3/4 up the mast. Worked just fine. Be sure to take a piece along as an emergency antenna in case you lose the mast .)

3) ww.docksideradio.com/west coast.htm

A list of cruiser SSB radio nets (most out of Mexico). Listen in and then ask for a radio check. Will give you several thousand miles of contact space.