Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New member

Quote Originally Posted by jamottep View Post
    ... I'm being told that I should first check whether I'm sensitive to seasickness. I don't think I am but then I've never been on a small boat caught in heavy swell.
    Don't worry...when you're in truly heavy seas you'll be too terrified to be seasick ; )

I just got a note from SSS's marketing dept. They said to tone it down a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    I just got a note from SSS's marketing dept. They said to tone it down a bit.
    That's a big fat fib.

Okay you're right. It was the Membership Recruitment Dept.

Feeling so bad you wish you were just about anywhere else might be worse than "terrified'.

Quote Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
    Feeling so bad you wish you were just about anywhere else might be worse than "terrified'.
    Hello, Sir! Do you have a seasickness story for us? Or an antidote? Rick Elkins told us about a Navy study that suggested 48 hours of prophylactic bonine helped.

Quote Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
    That's probably true. I've been so hungover that I promised I'd never drink again...well, at least not tequila.

I find that drinking too much the night before departure can cause sea sickness, even before leaving the dock! Without such "stimulant", it doesn't happen to me.
    If you do feel sick, don't try to fight it: Just throw up and things will get better in a hurry, never to return!

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    Okay you're right. It was the Membership Recruitment Dept.
    Oh. Those people are so faint of heart.

My recommendations...don't be jet lagged and eat the oyster stew at Sam's Chowder House the night before heading to the Farallones. And prophylactic Bonine is the thing that works for me -- when I remember to take it -- then I'll take it again on mornings when the sea state starts to kick up. It helps me even just a few hours before things go bad. I've been 4 days offshore with no problems when a storm sends my stomach sideways. So much for sea legs

As to the Channel Islands trip, it will probably be the week of July 20. I'll post my plan here.