Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New member

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default New member

Good day,
    My name is Philippe. I started sailing with the Redwood City sailing club in 2013. I've completed ASA101 to 104. I've sailed on their Merit 25 quite a bit, and enjoy single handling.

A bit more about me: I'm from Belgium, I'm in my mid 40s, I'm 6'6", married, father of one, work in IT.

My sailing experience is all in South Bay, small 25 ft boat, main and jib alone. No spinnaker experience yet.

I'd like to explore ocean crossing. There are a few schools that offer ASA106 but I'm being told that I should first check whether I'm sensitive to seasickness. I don't think I am but then I've never been on a small boat caught in heavy swell.

So ... I'd like to offer myself to anyone looking for crew. I want to learn more about sailing, single handling and sailboats in general.

In my current situation (working, married, father) I'm not sure how far I will take this but the idea of crossing oceans certainly has me dreaming ...

Let me know if anyone's interested in sharing their experience with a newbie. I'm open to cost sharing.

Philippe

Welcome Philippe! Keep inquiring about crewing and you'll find boats. There will likely be plenty of opportunities once everyone knows you're looking. I may need crew on a trip back from Channel Islands in July. Will post here when I have details. As to seasickness, most everyone I know can be sensitive to it under the right circumstances. I haven't done any really long, offshore, single-hand passages, but my guess is that being able to tolerate living inside your own head for extended periods might be the true test of whether you're suited to it or not.

Instead of trying to live inside my own head for extended periods offshore (which is incredibly confusing), I'm working on reliable means to achieve OBE's:

Linky

Method 1 is pretty reliable with the engine running (out of gear of course). Method 2 also works but my astral body ends up at the masthead and it's a long climb to reattach. I haven't yet tried Method 3. Method 4 is 100% reliable after 2-3 days offshore.

Philippe, are you sure you want to pursue singlehanded ocean sailing?
    Last edited by BobJ; 05-27-2015 at 04:58 PM.

pogen is offline Sailing canoe "Kūʻaupaʻa"

I've been living almost exclusively inside my head for over 50 years and I can't really recommend it. Plus, I'm still not that great at sailing. At least the auditory hallucinations make for some light diversion.

I think Latitude 38 still maintains a crew list, you should also post on that, and also pressure-drop.us and even the crew list at Sailing Anarchy. Do what you can to get a ride on the Delta Ditch next weekend. If you can get your wife to drive and help ferry excess crew home, you will be doing a nice service.

Hello Phillipe,
    I keep a 34 ft boat in Brisbane, just north of SFO. I do a fair amount of mid week testing on the Bay of electronics. If you want to go for a 1 to 2 hour ride let me know. I go out at a variety of times to seek a variety of conditions. Sometimes the spinnaker goes up, depends on what I am up to.

Brian
    s/v Redsky

Quote Originally Posted by Gamayun View Post
    Welcome Philippe!
    Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamayun View Post
    I may need crew on a trip back from Channel Islands in July. Will post here when I have details.
    How long would that trip back be? I'm interested and would need to plan with the boss.

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    ... my astral body ends up at the masthead and it's a long climb to reattach ... Philippe, are you sure you want to pursue singlehanded ocean sailing?
    Well, Yes. Although the literature about offshore sailing and singlehanded sailing aren't particularly painting a rosy picture. Pitchpoling, limit of positive stability, falling keels, suicide ... I'm not sure anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by pogen View Post
    I think Latitude 38 still maintains a crew list, you should also post on that, and also pressure-drop.us and even the crew list at Sailing Anarchy. Do what you can to get a ride on the Delta Ditch next weekend. If you can get your wife to drive and help ferry excess crew home, you will be doing a nice service.
    I took a peak on latitude38 ... there are already over 400 crew members listed. I created a profile on findacrew.net and never heard from it ...

Do those really work?

Quote Originally Posted by brianb View Post
    I keep a 34 ft boat in Brisbane, just north of SFO.
    Thank you for the offer. How would we go about this? I can PM you my cell?

I realize everyone has a busy life and I'll admit that I'm asking for a lot. I'm reading a bit too (Nigel Calder's cruising handbook).

Quote Originally Posted by jamottep View Post
    ... I'm being told that I should first check whether I'm sensitive to seasickness. I don't think I am but then I've never been on a small boat caught in heavy swell.
    Don't worry...when you're in truly heavy seas you'll be too terrified to be seasick ; )

I just got a note from SSS's marketing dept. They said to tone it down a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    I just got a note from SSS's marketing dept. They said to tone it down a bit.
    That's a big fat fib.

Okay you're right. It was the Membership Recruitment Dept.