Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: AK Race Discussion

I was just down on Scaramouche and a retiring team (something express) straggled in out of the Strait. I think they will be retiring after beating their heads against the westerlies since Sunday. They were in about a 16 foot open boat. I know the guys on "the Boatyard Boys". They left Silva Bay last night and are back in Silva Bay this aft. May be a small window of opportunity tomorrow and Friday for some of the smaller boats to get north. While I have totally relied on Passageweather in the past, not so much so for the inside passage.

Yes, PassageWeather uses the GFS (offshore) model. A Coamps forecast would account for land effects - maybe someone could post a link.

Interesting that Por Favor, a Hobie 33 and multiple time Pac Cup vet is a solid second. It seems that ocean racing experience may be a key difference among the boats. That and the first two boats both have, I believe, numerous Van Isle 360's under their belt. Experience, simple, but tried and true boats are good way to roll if you want to keep making miles, day after day.

I was just up in the area earlier this week and saw a few of pack heading the opposite way in the Straits of Georgia. I don't envy the stronger than normal upwind slog they had the first few days. I'm sure most entrants didn't read the brochure that said 30-40 knots, upwind, and square waves. I imagine most of them thought of light air, currents, and flat water.

Al is also sailing with Graeme Esarey who has crossed the Pacific with his wife and did very well on his Farr 1220 in the 2012 Pac Cup. These guys are no slouches when it comes to sailing fast in tough conditions.
    Life is not a dress rehearsal.

Bermuda 1-2 on a Schumacher 28

Less wind, POR FAVOR?

Bella Bella is one of the two gates on the course and you can see Al heading there now. After that there is a long series of narrow channels all the way to Prince Rupert. To avoid these narrow channels you are free to go up Hecate Strait between the Charlottes and the mainland islands. Unfortunately Hecate Strait is very shallow in places and virtually not survivable for the boats in this race when there is a gale of wind against the tide. The drama is getting to me and I'm sorry I have to go sailing tomorrow and won't get to watch. For local weather go to the Environment Canada website and click on mid-coast or north coast. Sorry, don't know how to link etc.

Thanks Peter. Here's where you can get buoy reports like we're used to:

https://weather.gc.ca/marine/forecas...1&siteID=06200

Click the "Weather Conditions" tab.
    Last edited by BobJ; 06-11-2015 at 07:32 PM.

The finish line is the entrance to Thomas Basin. This webcam will get overwhelmed as ELSIE PIDDOCK approaches but here it is:

http://webcamketchikan.com/mega-view-cam-6/

It was slow going for ELSIE from 0400-0800 but they're back up to 5 knots and pointed towards the finish. Either the wind died at dawn or they paused for shaves, showers and to don their best bib and tucker!

From R2AK HQ: "Just in: Local Port Townsend Team Hexagram 59 officially has withdrawn. Norton and Piper, not feeling real wordy. They just said, 'Hex 59 is officially retiring. All's well. Sailing home.' Must be with a heavy heart that was written. Gives us one to read it."

It's still blowing in Johnstone Strait and many of the boats are pinned down, as they have been since they reached it. If you're wondering what this looks like, watch this slide show (repost from R2AK's FaceBook page) - scroll to the bottom to see the captions:

http://www.annwelch.com/r2ak/MissionAirWing.html

At some point Race HQ sends a "sweep boat" and the race is officially over. I'm not sure how that works - I hope the rest of the fleet can get going soon.
    Last edited by BobJ; 06-12-2015 at 11:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    From R2AK HQ: "Just in: Local Port Townsend Team Hexagram 59 officially has withdrawn. Norton and Piper, not feeling real wordy. They just said, 'Hex 59 is officially retiring. All's well. Sailing home.' Must be with a heavy heart that was written. Gives us one to read it."

It's still blowing in Johnstone Strait and many of the boats are pinned down, as they have been since they reached it. If you're wondering what this looks like, watch this slide show (repost from R2AK's FaceBook page) - scroll to the bottom to see the captions:

http://www.annwelch.com/r2ak/MissionAirWing.html

At some point Race HQ sends a "sweep boat" and the race is officially over. I'm not sure how that works - I hope the rest of the fleet can get going soon.
    Too bad about Hex 59. Norton Smith is also an SSS Transpac veteran, and the one person who sailed into Hanalei Bay ahead of Skip in 1978. That is a great shot of the S/V Shaken Not Stirred, but I can't tell which team it represents. Do you know?

Team POR FAVOR, the Hobie 33. They are also Pacific Cup vets so they share Team ELSIE's offshore experience.

I was going to sail Rags back to her slip this morning but I've been glued to the tracker (and also trying to do some real work). I'll head out after watching ELSIE finish.