Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Long Pac to test Delorme Inreach and Pinnacle Tracking Web Page - volunteers ?

Default Long Pac to test Delorme Inreach and Pinnacle Tracking Web Page - volunteers ?

If you are doing the Long Pac we will have available a set of Delorme Inreach units. The rental rate for the units will be about $35. I don't yet have the precise number. If you are doing the Long Pac it would be a great help to the SSS to rent a unit and let us conduct a test of the Pinnacle Tracking Website capabilities, as we did for the Single Handed Farallon's . The tracking page will show vessels every one hour while on the course. The tracking rate will be tripled as boats are within the last 1/2 degree of longitude of the 126 deg 40 min goal line.

Please join in the test. Contact me via PM here.

Regards,

Brian

Certa Ceto vounteers to rent and be part of the test. I have been thinking about purchasing the Delorme Explorer unit in any case, so this would be good experience.

pogen is offline Sailing canoe "Kūʻaupaʻa"

Is this optional DeLorme going to be the only tracker for LongPac?

Also, racers are fobidden to look at the tracker or talk to anyone about it, right??

Hi David,

I don't know of any other tracker planned for the Long Pac, officially. See Max. Yes, racers would not be allowed to view the track map, nor speak to anyone about it. We would limit the live feed. Like the 2014 SHTP we will delay the live feed a few hours, so it won't be live any longer.

Brian

Is the plan to use the tracker for the LongPac?

I think $35 is worth it. It seems very cheap compared to all other requirements. It also allows racers to sent messages.

Dirk "TIJD" - First 30JK

Not trying to pry, but curious why you delay the live feed and why racers could not look at their tracker?

The short answer is that the ability to track and see the relative positions, course changes, speeds, etc of the other competitors in real time constitutes receiving Outside Assistance, See Rule 41.
    Delaying that information is felt to make it a less relevant tactical tool, regardless of how that information is received aboard [live feed, radio, satphone call home, etc].

DH

I snagged one of these while on sale at REI. Looking into the different service plans. Any feedback as to how the different plans will connect/coordinate to the LongPac tracking test?

Quote Originally Posted by pogen View Post
    Is this optional DeLorme going to be the only tracker for LongPac?
    If you have anything else that can send your position to RC, RC would be glad to receive it. We/they (TBD) won't attempt to integrate it into a tracking map but will report it now and then.

pogen is offline Sailing canoe "Kūʻaupaʻa"

I have AIS class B transmit. Not sure how far out it goes.

https://www.vesselfinder.com/?mmsi=338108542