Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Long Pac to test Delorme Inreach and Pinnacle Tracking Web Page - volunteers ?

Quote Originally Posted by pogen View Post
    I have AIS class B transmit. Not sure how far out it goes.

https://www.vesselfinder.com/?mmsi=338108542
    I pick up AIS transmissions from vessels 40 nm away sometimes. I use a splitter to my mast top whip so I get pretty good receive coverage and, hopefully, this is also true of my transmit. Of course you loose the ability to check on yourself on marinetraffic or what not once you are about 15 nm offshore and loose your cell signal.

BTW my Son is a mate in the merchant marine and tells me he rarely sees sailboats on the ships radar. Always sees AIS though.

Didn't think of it that way, thanks for explaining it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lightspeed View Post
    I snagged one of these while on sale at REI. Looking into the different service plans. Any feedback as to how the different plans will connect/coordinate to the LongPac tracking test?
    I used a personal Delorme Explorer on the Farallons Race. The rental company couldn't integrate it into their map ('cause they're dummies), but it was available for viewing who had my URL.

Quote Originally Posted by The Smokester View Post
    I used a personal Delorme Explorer on the Farallons Race. The rental company couldn't integrate it into their map ('cause they're dummies), but it was available for viewing who had my URL.
    We are working with Pinnacle to see about getting visibility of the private units in this 2 nd test of their tracking system. They have promised this can be done by the 2016 SHTP but we want to see it in action. If you have a private Delorme, the yellow unit or the red unit, we will need the IMEI number to get it shown on the chart shown on the web page.

Regards,

Brian

It is possible to track AIS by satellite. At least two services exist that do this. Someone would have to pay for the service and set up a fleet with listed MMSI numbers. It might not work too well close to SF due to collisions with all the marine traffic in the area.

pogen is offline Sailing canoe "Kūʻaupaʻa"

Quote Originally Posted by brianb View Post
    It is possible to track AIS by satellite.
    I guess that's how ships 1000 nm offshore get plotted on VesselFinder.com and similar sites.

Default NSA has all the data

Quote Originally Posted by pogen View Post
    I guess that's how ships 1000 nm offshore get plotted on VesselFinder.com and similar sites.
    Do we have an attorney in the SSS ? We could file a freedom of information request for real time data from NSA sats. After all, we already paid for this.

Ha Ha, NSA can probably tell you the last time you peed over the rail. Damn singlehanders are polluting again.

The SSS is completing the testing of Pinnacle Tracking with a second test during the Long Pac. This is to qualify the Pinnacle Tracking system using Delorme trackers. If you would like to participate please contact Brian Boschma
    sss@brianboschma.com. There will be a limited number of units
    available at cost for $35 for the week.

In the Long Pac race the system will do a position update once per hour.
    The data will be captured on a private web page only accessible to
    the race committee. The purpose is for the RC to be able to
    evaluate the system. Racers, in compliance with the rules, cannot have access to this data by any means. No phone calls home, SSB calls, or email/text messages.

If you own a Delorme tracker and would like to participate that would also be helpful to the SSS. There is no charge if you have your own unit. We are still working with Pinnacle to make this happen, so this is not assured quite yet for the Long Pac.

The following information should be forwarded to sss@brianboschma.com.

Boat Name
    Emergency Contact Name
    Emergency Contact Phone Number
    Boat Type
    PHRF Rating
    IMEI number if you have your own SE or Explorer Delorme unit.

The units will be distributed at the skippers meeting and a check for the rental fee will be gladly accepted at that time.

An update on the Tracker uptake. It appears we have 9 entrants who have volunteered. I will order a few extra units in case others would like to take advantage of the system. At this point it appears including private units in the Pinnacle system, at this time, isn't going to be possible due to contract restrictions between Pinnacle and Delorme. They are going to have this worked out in the next few months so in the 2016 SHTP this will be resolved.