Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Silver Eagle Race June 24th

Default Silver Eagle Race June 24th

There was a recent thread wanting a shorthanded race that finishes up in the Estuary. What are you doing on June 27th (2015)? 2016 Edit: June 25, 2016 2017 Edit: June 24th!

This is the 40th Anniversary of the Silver Eagle Long Distance Race, organized by our friends at the Island Yacht Club. This race could use a shot in the arm and we're just the group to give it one. With four entries we can have a shorthanded division.

It's a long (30.5 nm) race with an SSS-type course, but with the finish off the Island Yacht Club. Starts begin at 1030 at the GGYC, then round Blackaller, Little Harding, Blossom, the Brothers, and finish at IYC. There's an even longer course for the multihulls and under-100 PHRF boats, but us shorthanders would probably sail the shorter course.

I'm doing this - can I get three shorthanded boats (or more) to join me? (I think IYC will accept boats with loose wiring and uninstalled Corian countertops.)

Here's the link: IYC's Silver Eagle Race Edit: Here's the link for 2016's race: https://www.jibeset.net/IYC000.php?RG=T004247933 Also see my post at the end of this thread.

2017 Edit: Here's the link for this year's race: https://www.jibeset.net/IYC000.php?RG=T008744666
    Last edited by BobJ; 06-12-2017 at 12:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    With four entries we can have a shorthanded division.
    Here's the link: IYC's Silver Eagle Race
    Hmmm. Shorthanded (this again). If I register as a singlehander, will I be racing against doublehanders?

Bob,

There is the HMB OYRA race that weekend... I used to do the Silver Eagle all the time. I will consider it in place of HMB. The old course covered a lot of ground, S Bay then N Bay....

BB

Quote Originally Posted by Philpott View Post
    Hmmm. Shorthanded (this again). If I register as a singlehander, will I be racing against doublehanders?
    First we need four boats. If we get eight and four are singlehanded, we could ask the R/C. I'll probably race singlehanded.

I'll do it!
    Signing up singlehanded.
    Let's get some more entries!

Greg
    All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it is vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they act their dream with open eyes, to make it possible.

T.E. Lawrence

Thanks Greg! We only need 1-2 more to have our own division, and the shorthanded division may be all singlehanders.

It will be fun to hang out at IYC after the race. Rags will probably spend the night at Alameda Marina's guest dock and then motor over to Jack London Square Sunday morning for coffee and breakfast, before sailing back to Richmond. A perfect weekend or what?

Sailing Instructions are UP: IYC Silver Eagle SI's

The course is slightly shortened from my description above (which was based on 2014's race) - the Estuary entrance mark is omitted and the measured distance was recalibrated to 30.5 nm. It's like a reverse SSS Corinthian+Rocks race with a sail back across to the Estuary and finish at IYC.

At this point we have three 30 footers entered in the shorthanded division, including (count 'em) TWO blue J's. Even if you don't have a 30' blue J Boat we'd be jazzed to see you sign up - we need at least one more shorthander or we'll be sitting at the dock sniffin' burlap and eating wild hickory nuts. That would be less than good SO SIGN UP!
    Last edited by BobJ; 06-18-2015 at 01:09 PM.

OK, I'm in; Single handing as well.
    That makes 2 blue J's and 2 white Wilderness 30's.

DH

Excellent Dave! Synthia (EYRIE) is racing too but she's confused - she entered 'cause she read the part about sniffing burlap and eating wild hickory nuts. No 'Zia, that's what we were going to do if we COULDN'T race.

Well anyway we're up to five. You have until the 24th to enter before the fee goes up.

We have a quorum but you're welcome to join us this Saturday. It will be fun (he said).