Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Silver Eagle Race June 24th

FUGU signed up. Thats three Wilderness 30s! Yep, fun!
    All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it is vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they act their dream with open eyes, to make it possible.

T.E. Lawrence

https://www.jibeset.net/IYC000.php?RG=T00880962

Fleet assignments are posted.
    Some fast company there!
    All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it is vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they act their dream with open eyes, to make it possible.

T.E. Lawrence

Post-race report: We ended up with seven shorthanders, the largest division in the race.

Silver Eagle Results

Both EYRIE and RAGTIME! had autopilot issues early in the race and EYRIE decided to head home before a kite had to be set (too bad!) Mo and Tony on WIND SPEED and Chris on FUGU were right with RAGTIME! all day and that made it fun (and more work!) It was windy and reachy so even with an asymmetric I was only able to set between Little Harding and Blossom, and for the run up the Estuary. For the latter, bunches of jibes were necessary often while dodging other boats. The trickiest jibe was right off Jack London Square's fuel dock in the midst of three circling powerboats. Some hand signals (not with middle finger) averted catastrophe.

Once tied up at Alameda Marina's guest dock the shorthanders totally won the party. IYC's race chair, John New, invited us over to the club for eats and then, one by one, we headed back out. WIND SPEED, NIGHTMARE and RAGS had a wonderful evening sail back to Richmond to end another fine day on the Bay. (Photo from WIND SPEED via FB attached.)

Now that LongPac entries have closed I'd like to propose another event for the rest of us, for July 18th. I'll do a new post for that.
    Last edited by BobJ; 07-01-2015 at 10:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    Now that LongPac entries have closed I'd like to propose another event for the rest of us, for July 18th. I'll do a new post for that.
    Is that the Midnight Marathon? Because Chris Case and I have talked about that one, too. It's either that one or the Westpoint Regatta, which requires YRA membership.

I was thinking about the Westpoint Regatta, since you said we can't RACE down there on Halloween, only crooze. But I didn't think about the YRA membership part since I'm already a member.

Who puts on the Midnight Marathon? That might be just fine and dandy to do. Edit: Okay I checked that out - SFYC. It's also on July 18th and is a pursuit race from Raccoon Strait to the Carquinez Bridge and back. No shorthanded division though. I guess we could ask for one.
    Last edited by BobJ; 07-01-2015 at 03:33 PM.

Default 2016 IYC Silver Eagle - June 25th

Bored already, Bunky? You're not racing to Hawaii and you noticed the next SSS race isn't until August (Drake's Bay)? I have a solution!

Last year a bunch of us raced in Island Yacht Club's Silver Eagle. It was grand. We had a blast. It moved me Bob.

It's a 24-mile Bay race, starting at the Golden Gate Yacht Club and ending up at the Island Yacht Club (where we've been having our meetings recently). Yes, that means you get to finish in the flat and tropical waters of the Oakland Estuary. We only need four boats - I'm sure we can get more than that. Read the NOR and sign up here:

https://www.jibeset.net/IYC000.php?RG=T004247933
    Last edited by BobJ; 06-22-2016 at 09:27 AM.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    Bored already, Bunky? You're not racing to Hawaii and you noticed the next SSS race isn't until August (Drake's Bay)? I have a solution!

Last year a bunch of us raced in Island Yacht Club's Silver Eagle. It was grand. We had a blast. It moved me Bob.

It's a 30-mile Bay race, starting at the Golden Gate Yacht Club and ending up at the Island Yacht Club (where we've been having our meetings recently). Yes, that means you get to finish in the flat and tropical waters of the Oakland Estuary. We only need four boats - I'm sure we can get more than that. Read the NOR and sign up here:

https://www.jibeset.net/IYC000.php?RG=T004247933
    Okay. But only if there is a singlehanded division.

The Silver Eagle was a fun race last year!

This year it is the same day as the OYRA Half Moon Bay.

What a conundrum!

I plan to race OYRA since I am already signed up.

Have fun!!
    Last edited by Daydreamer; 06-07-2016 at 07:06 AM. Reason: right day wrong race

Quote Originally Posted by Philpott View Post
    You're a hoot, Jackie. This thread is deja vu all over again

In addition to my continued allegiance to HMBYC, I just became a member of IYC so I'll have to check my calendar on this race. Sounds like fun!!

Quote Originally Posted by Philpott View Post
    Bunky here:
    This from IYC: Island YC Racing 9:23 AM (1 hour ago) Hi Jacqueline,
    The way the NOR defines short-handed at this point is what we better stick to initially (max crew size = 2).
    However if we get at least 4 folks identified as singlehanded and at least 4 boats identified as doublehanded, we'd be happy to split up our short-handed division into single- and double- Thanks for writing in,
    David Ross