Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Yacht Club in Town

I think you're right about the ABC. When I was on the Board at the Sausalito YC the ABC had "ringers" who tested the alcohol license. At that time many SYC members belonged because they could park for free in the Sausalito City parking lot under a club sticker agreement and ride the Sausalito ferry to work. After work it was common to drop in and have a drink or two before driving home. The barkeep wasn't too careful about who got served and apparently the word got round. The bar did a brisk business. Then one day the ABC sent in an agent or two. In addition to serving patrons "off the ferry" guests at races were added in because the club didn't have a reciprocal sign-in and "sponsored i.d. stickers." The ABC, who is familiar with clubs asked for the sign-in book, but there wasn't one. The ABC let the club off with a warning, but it was a wake up. ( Soon after the City of Sausalito stopped allowing club stickers in their parking lot. Club membership renewal took a dive - but that wasn't related to the ABC.) I don't think the ABC goes further than the name of a yacht club on the sign-in book for purposes of liquor licenses, but it PICYA membership is a requirement, then signing in as an SSS member might be called into question.

pogen is offline Sailing canoe "Kūʻaupaʻa"

I think I was too harsh on the StFYC. Here is their policy

The St. Francis Yacht Club has reciprocal relationships with most accredited yacht clubs and is happy to host their visiting members. The Club does employ a 50 Mile Guest Privilege Limitation Statute, which limits guest privileges only to reciprocal members whose yacht club or residence is located outside of a 50 mile radius from the San Francisco Clubhouse or Tinsley Island. Reciprocal members whose yacht club or place of residence falls within 50 statute miles of the City Clubhouse or Tinsley Island may be granted reciprocal privileges ONLY if they arrive via boat and register at the City Clubhouse docks. When reciprocal members wish to visit the Club, a letter of introduction must be sent on their behalf from their primary yacht club which confirms that they are a member in good standing and are eligible to be granted guest privileges. The letter of introduction should be emailed to frontdesk@stfyc.com. The Club will require that reciprocal members settle their accounts on a credit card prior to leaving the Club.
    So, I happen to live 38.721 mi from the StFYC, so I guess I can never go there. But if you live in Santa Cruz you are OK.

I might have been thinking of NYYC, they don't let just anyone in I'm sure. I remember wishing I could drop in and have a drink in their famous Model Room, and being disappointed.