Hello,
I have been maintaining an interest in the SHTP since 2008, and and for various reasons (mostly work obligations since I am self employed in a small business) havent been able to put it together.
I was interested in the 2014 race and had spent a bucketfull of money rebuilding and modifying a 36 foot tri. Unfortunately, I sank it in 15 feet of water in August, 2013, and that was the end of that.
We salvaged the boat and now I am putting it back together. Obviously, every single electrical component has to be replaced new. I am entering the recently announced Pensacola to Havana race starting October 31, 2015, a 550 mile sprint. We will be sailing in 2 months and have two months to de-bug and sea-trial it, prior to that race. I will singlehand the boat back to Louisiana, about 650 miles, to see if I think its safe, (or I am perhaps) for entering the SHTP.
Here is the question.
What simple nav and comm equipment setups will do the job. I know I am installing an NKE autopilot and other NKE systems (wind, speed) I want AIS, and I am leaning toward InavX in the IPAS, with a couple of handheld GPS backups. Also Delorme tracking. I will only have solar power, and perhaps a Honda 2000 eu genset BOat will be full LED lights equipped.
Any suggestions, critiques, or comments with regard to specific equipment, or installation will be appreciated.
Jim