Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: communication and navigation equipment

Jim:
    You are confused because it is quite complex (at least I found it so).

The vesper is a lovely unit because it has its own gps antenna and AIS antenna (unless you combine via a splitter your VHF...has its own pros/cons). It then puts out its own little wireless signal with GPS and AIS data. Simple to connect an IPAD (an INAVX) then you have a mobile MFD with AIS input, and GPS data (COG, SOG etc). My experience with VESPER has been highly positive..give it 12 volts and it works. Also, again, very responsive to email and helped teach me a lot about interconnecting devices.

Now as soon as you start talking about other instruments they have wired NMEA feeds (at least two different Baud rates and protocols exist). And interfacing multiple brands into a wireless hub can be a fun project or not depending on your interests.

This is a major reason why I went all NKE including their wireless hub (so I actually have two wireless hubs....the weight and electric demand is trivial). I was going to use just the VESPER wireless and that should/could work....but I didn't want to have different companies saying the problem was with the other. I connect to the wireless NKE feed via a tablet computer. Gives me some redundancy.

Oh, and keep in mind most instruments all have some sort of protocol for data transfer that is there own. This is really a thread of its own. I decided after some research to side step the issue and just go with one brand. But again, your interests should dictate your choice...but one can spend lots and lots and lots of time on electronics with no increase in boat speed. A lot of amazing young guys have gone with minimal instruments on Moore 24s and the like very fast to Hawaii.

Chris, did you get the XB-8000 we talked about or did you drop the big bucks for the Watchmate Vision? I'm thinking about a transponder, although I'll take so much grief from the SSS folks if I get one that it might not be worth it!

I went with the very economical XB-8000 ;-)
    This unit does also have a wired output that one can patch into your AIS enabled VHF, or to a chart-plotter as well.
    Chris

Jim, I got up to five boats at one point but four of them were dinghies. You have that beat - don't you have a J/35 laying about as well?

We'd love to see Ryan in the race again but I think the big nut to crack is the return cost. I think that's why we've never been able to get the Minis involved. (If Hebert is lurking, he just ducked.)

Chris,
    I have been feeling totally overwhelmed by the wi-fi issues in marine electronic gear. As best I can tell, the main difference between the XB000 and the Watchmate vision is the vision has its own display, has a combination ais/vhf antenna, which I aassume means you dont have to use either/or, and the vision transmits out, as well as receives, for basically another thousand bucks.?
    Jim

Bob,
    I still have the J35, which Tillotson-Pearson and Bob Johnstone modified for me for the 84 OSTAR. I also have the 73 (or so) NA champion 3/4 tonner,, a Mull 34 named Swampfire, which O. J. Young had built and sailed. It may have been the world champion 3/4 tonner too.
    There are a few more non-race specific boats too. I'm probablly the poster child for OCD, and will never qualify as anyone's financial advisor in planning for retirement.
    Jim

Fortunately old sailboats are good investments

I think the Vision just adds its own display (so it's a stand-alone unit). Both are transponders and can be wireless hubs for your other gadgets. If I get one it will be the XB-8000.

Bob:
    New sailboats are good investments too!

Jim:
    More than once I have been overwhelmed. Accept that you will make mistakes, stuff won't work as planned and better stuff will come along as soon as you buy stuff. At some point bite the bullet pick some and enjoy. Until you have some miles and hours on it you won't know what works best for you. Regarding antenna the Vesper Unit is big and heavy and "tuned" to both the AIS and VHF frequencies which are slightly different (some say that is not the case). I use a smaller antenna for my AIS and VHF through Vespers powered splitter. It works well (in initial testing) had some issues offshore but communications were great with ships VHF, and AIS out to 30 miles I am not sure what the issue is/was. I have a second emergency antenna, and could always take the splitter out and use two antennas. One on rear pulpit one on masthead. An approach is to put AIS on masthead/VHF on stern rail for offshore.....priority be seen by ship. Reverse when close to shore..

Chris

I totally agree about not obsessing over electronics. You need a solid autopilot w/spares (and electrical system to support it), an AIS receiver w/alarm, a means of long-distance communication (SSB or satphone) and a VHF. Weather downloads have hurt me more than helped me (a simple barometer tells you a lot). I sailed for most of my life without instruments. I did better (and had more fun) in the 2006 race with basic gear than in those since.

Quote Originally Posted by CRC1965 View Post
    IF i had a bigger boat I would go B&G and interface with one of their beautiful chartplotters at a NAV station...overlay radar etc.......
    This is what I did. Well...plan to do soon. I have been collecting all the parts and pieces, now I am slowly getting the nerve up to put it all together. I'll post the learning process though I hope that does not include too many pleadings for help. I'll have to look into the Vesper Watchmate, too, but my VHF has AIS receive capability and spending any more big bucks is not high on the list right now.