Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: communication and navigation equipment

The bad news, I had to withdraw from the Havana race. I simply couild not, and cannot get the boat ready to start in 4 weeks, without taking off and doing nothing for the next month but working on the boat, which is not a possibility as I have several cases set for trial in the month. The good news is the concentrated effort to get the boat ready for that race has given me a huge leap forward in boat prep, and we will actually be sailing in a couple of weeks, although the interior renovation will be just getting started. The mast is being stepped Monday and the boat is coming out of the boatyard. The other good news is that when I do get to the starting line, the boat will be tested, and candidly, it would not have been completed if I started the Havana race. There will be other Havana races.
    Jim

Hi all,
    An autopilot observation that may be of some interest. As I have said, I have an NKE autopilot for the Prodigal Son, which has all the bells and whistles. My wife's health has stopped all progress toward my finishing the installation and actually going sailing with it. BUT, Ryan Finn is currently sailing his Proa, the Jzerro, from Seattle through the Panama Canal to New Orleans. He has the identical (almost) autopilot as mind, and it is very interesting to look at his SPOT tracking. You could draw a line on his tracks as straight as a ruler. He has had some rough weather, and is making impressive daily runs. It was so wet down below, he couldn't write on his charts at times because they were so wet. Many many 200 mile days. Now he is off Honduras headed to the Yucatan straits . I am encouraged by his autopilot performance. I suggest you look at "two oceans, one rock" website to see it. He is basically engaged in an effort to take that boat from New York (next Chritsmas) around Cape Horn to San Francisco sailing singlehanded. He sailed non-stop from Seattle to the Panama Canal, over 3100 miles. Whatever his time is, if he completes that endeavor, will be a record, as no one has done it singlehanded. Anyway, the NKE apparently can really perform.
    Jim