Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 52

Thread: communication and navigation equipment

  1. #31
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    2,366

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gamayun View Post
    This is what I did. Well...plan to do soon. I have been collecting all the parts and pieces, now I am slowly getting the nerve up to put it all together. I'll post the learning process
    photos or video please. this oughta be good. If only you had video footage of Iron Mike "Oh that? That'll kill you" Jefferson while he helped you with your electronics.
    Last edited by Philpott; 07-26-2015 at 06:56 PM.

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Montara, CA
    Posts
    733

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Philpott View Post
    photos or video please. this oughta be good. If only you had video footage of Iron Mike "Oh that? That'll kill you" Jefferson while he helped you with your electronics.
    Mike thinks I live a charmed life on the tippy edge of potential disaster. I tell him it's more fun that way

    He's also taught me the right way to splice wire like nobody's business....

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    3,041

    Default

    Well there's no ONE right way:

    1) Twist them together and stick a piece of tape over the joint - matching colors doesn't matter

    2) Get a really long piece of wire (so you don't HAVE to splice it) and coil up the extra next to the panel (on really fancy yachts you could put a wire tie around the coil)

    3) Move the thing you're wiring so the wire will reach

    4) Get the brand that comes with the longest wires in the box

    I got this boat wiring thing nailed!

  4. #34
    pogen's Avatar
    pogen is offline Sailing canoe "Kūʻaupaʻa"
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    922

    Default

    Seriously, if you are doing a lot of wiring work or instrument/power installations, it is worth it to buy one of these babies

    http://www.westmarine.com/buy/west-m...r-kit--8956906

  5. #35
    pogen's Avatar
    pogen is offline Sailing canoe "Kūʻaupaʻa"
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    922

    Default

    Here's a question. I have a Brookhouse multiplexor to merge AIS and NEMA navigation data. The setup has never worked properly to get AIS data to my charplotter, which is a Lowrance, and not very good.

    Now I have an iPad, and I just bought the iNavX navigation app and downloaded all my charts, and I'd like to get all this data onto WiFi. Also, I think even using the laptop might be easier, it would cut down on the number of cables.

    Does anyone have experience with any of the Wifi-capable muxes? I'm thinking Shipmodule, Vesper, etc.

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Montara, CA
    Posts
    733

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    Well there's no ONE right way:

    1) Twist them together and stick a piece of tape over the joint - matching colors doesn't matter!
    No shit. This is how I learned to do it, albeit from my mom, the circus performer, who actually was a pro fixing her trailer and making sure her rigging stayed connected when she was 50 feet off the ground

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    3,041

    Default

    Coming soon to the SSS Resources page: "The Scottish CPA's Guide to Cheap Boat Wiring." A few more tips from various chapters:

    - Use extension cords as a source for wire. You already have a bunch of them and they come in the two most popular colors for boat interiors (white and brown). When the wire inside turns black it loses weight, and we all know light is fast.

    - For wire colors, mix and match the colors from your favorite sports teams. When the Giants won last year I started using orange and black for everything. Then Chicken Shack closed so I had to substitute red for orange, but it works fine. On the port side red is positive; on the starboard side it's negative - I like symmetry (except in my spinnakers).

    - Special tip for singlehanders: Don't waste valuable time labeling anything. You ran the wire - you know where it goes!

    - Charge your batteries and turn everything on before starting your wiring project. It saves all those trips to the panel from the bowels of the boat, and when you get it right all the lights come on.

    You're welcome.

    ______________

    Pro tip from Phil: Do not, under any circumstances, do ANYTHING Bob suggests above.
    Last edited by BobJ; 07-27-2015 at 05:57 PM.

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    79

    Default

    Chris,
    I had a preliminary discussion with Bob Congdon this morning, and in two hours I am going to have a more in depth discussion and start ordering parts. I've also decided to take your suggestion and get the Vesper AIS system if it is Both send and receive, or more specifically, Is the XB 8000 both send and receive? (A & B?)
    Jim

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Discovery Bay, CA
    Posts
    427

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    Coming soon to the SSS Resources page: "The Scottish CPA's Guide to Cheap Boat Wiring." A few more tips from various chapters:

    - Use extension cords as a source for wire. You already have a bunch of them and they come in the two most popular colors for boat interiors (white and brown). When the wire inside turns black it loses weight, and we all know light is fast.

    - For wire colors, mix and match the colors from your favorite sports teams. When the Giants won last year I started using orange and black for everything. Then Chicken Shack closed so I had to substitute red for orange, but it works fine. On the port side red is positive; on the starboard side it's negative - I like symmetry (except in my spinnakers).

    - Special tip for singlehanders: Don't waste valuable time labeling anything. You ran the wire - you know where it goes!

    - Charge your batteries and turn everything on before starting your wiring project. It saves all those trips to the panel from the bowels of the boat, and when you get it right all the lights come on.

    You're welcome.




    Pro tip from Phil: Do not, under any circumstances, do ANYTHING Bob suggests above.

    I knew there was someone aboard my boat the other day rummaging around my most recent AP install and stealing my proprietary wiring scheme. I am calling my attorney!!
    ______________

  10. #40
    pogen's Avatar
    pogen is offline Sailing canoe "Kūʻaupaʻa"
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    922

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jimb522 View Post
    Is the XB 8000 both send and receive? (A & B?)
    Jim
    Hi Guys ,

    For AIS, Class A refers to high power systems used on commercial vessels. Class B is for lower transmission power systems typically installed in pleasure craft and maybe smaller fishing boats. Both A and B refer to transponders, which means send + receive. There are also various devices that are receive-only, but these are neither Class A or Class B. Class B devices also transmit less data, fewer times per minute, while from Class A vessels you can learn all sorts of things like their destination port, how long they are, etc etc.

    See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automa...ication_System

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •