Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: communication and navigation equipment

Pogen,
    So my question then is simply, if you have a B class Vesper XB 8000, does the ship that you see on your screen, also have you on his screen?
    Thanks,
    Jim

pogen is offline Sailing canoe "Kūʻaupaʻa"

Quote Originally Posted by jimb522 View Post
    Pogen,
    So my question then is simply, if you have a B class Vesper XB 8000, does the ship that you see on your screen, also have you on his screen?
    Thanks,
    Jim
    Yes. Some AIS transponders have a switch or signal input to make them go into 'stealth mode' where you are receiving but not transmitting, but this is not the default.

Now I'm wishing I had spent a few more bucks a couple of years ago and gotten a WiFi one like that Vesper, that looks like a nice unit.

See also my new thread on VHF antenna testing, I am seeing if we can get some interest in a live test.

http://sfbaysss.org/forum/showthread...ntenna-testing

Quote Originally Posted by Tchoupitoulas View Post
    Hey JimB can we get a picture of your boat? And do tell more about this race to Havana please.
    Tchoupitoulas,
    Attached is a picture taken in mid-August, 2013, of all that was visible from the surface of Lake Pontchartrain, a lake next to New Orleans (although with a username like yours I am sure you are aware of that). That was when I flipped the boat. The other picture was taken from the masthead
    while sitting behind my house in a happier day.
    I am within a month of going sailing, and am now talking to the NKE rep, Bob Congdon, about purchasing an autopilot. Kind of like putting the Trrump Mansion in the ninth ward.
    Jim
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Well, as Julius Caesar said, "Alea iacta est" or The die is cast. I ordered about half the NKE system today, so we could put in the parts calling for the most time consuming labor, and then get the rest of the parts in September in time for the Havana race. If all goes well, I will make the qualifying trip for the 2016 shtp from the dry tortugas to New Orleans in November, on my way back from Havana. OR, I could decide that the boat or myself is not up to the shtp. And then I will have the flashiest daysailor with the most sophisticated autopilot in the Gulf.
    Chris, Bob Congdon told me the system is very similar to yours, other I would imagine then the changes made necessary by a rotating mast. He also said you were one of the most analytical customers he has had, which means to me that you did a lot of thinking this autopilot thing through, I kind of relied on that in rushing through this decision to get the NKE.
    Jim

pogen is offline Sailing canoe "Kūʻaupaʻa"

Quote Originally Posted by jimb522 View Post
    "Alea iacta est"

or, "The credit card has been processed."

Quote Originally Posted by pogen View Post
    or, "The credit card has been processed."
    Thats what I meant.
    Jim

Jim:
    Have fun with it.....it sounds like your earlier questions have been answered. I have found with mast top antenna (can see and be seen at about 30 miles - by a large ship with their antennas presumably very high)....it could be hardly considered testing. Currently I use a splitter. BUT plan if I do the hawaii thing is to mount an antenna on stern rail (AIS mast, VHF stern for offshore.....reverse when closer)...this is not my idea...but one I picked up somewhere on the forums and seems like a good approach.

I would encourage you (if you can) to buy the rest of the NKE system.....or as early as you can. It is not like Raymarine stuff where you can walk into a local distributor and find it on the shelf. Bob/NKE have been very responsive but if something is backordered it might put your whole time line off......everything for me has worked of the shelf....but these are still electronics..and worse case you get a bad piece of electronics....delay....production in france.......delay.....and then you don't have time to really get used to the system. The earlier you can get it all installed and more time you can have with it the better.

Quote Originally Posted by CRC1965 View Post
    Jim:
    Have fun with it.....it sounds like your earlier questions have been answered. I have found with mast top antenna (can see and be seen at about 30 miles - by a large ship with their antennas presumably very high)....it could be hardly considered testing. Currently I use a splitter. BUT plan if I do the hawaii thing is to mount an antenna on stern rail (AIS mast, VHF stern for offshore.....reverse when closer)...this is not my idea...but one I picked up somewhere on the forums and seems like a good approach.

I would encourage you (if you can) to buy the rest of the NKE system.....or as early as you can. It is not like Raymarine stuff where you can walk into a local distributor and find it on the shelf. Bob/NKE have been very responsive but if something is backordered it might put your whole time line off......everything for me has worked of the shelf....but these are still electronics..and worse case you get a bad piece of electronics....delay....production in france.......delay.....and then you don't have time to really get used to the system. The earlier you can get it all installed and more time you can have with it the better.
    chris
    I expect that the complete system will be installed by around the middle of September. Bob has agreed to come down and check it out and give me instructions in its use. The drive arrived yesterday. The thing is massive. I could drive a 30 ton shrimp boat with this thing. The cylinder is 3 inches in diameter, and it is about 25 pounds I estimate for the pump/cylinder assembly. I think I am getting everything from NKE you could attach to it . at least my budget feels like I have. I had decided to do the same thing and have two AIS/vhf antennas on the boat. I think that came from you earlier.
    Jim
    Attached Images Attached Images  

That's great. Bob spent a couple hours with me and that made a huge leap in my understanding. One of your early challenges is to learn the speed with which to press buttons....not too fast....not too long. Quickly becomes second nature. Yup...it could probably drive a shrimp boat and that strength is part of the safety margin ....BUT..keep in mind your attachment points need to be equally strong (weakest link issue.......in this years Long Pac...attachment point failure lead to loss of autopilot ability in one boat). Double antenna is NOT my idea (just one I borrowed from some smart person on this forum....I just can't remember which post to give credit to).

Quote Originally Posted by CRC1965 View Post
    That's great. Bob spent a couple hours with me and that made a huge leap in my understanding. One of your early challenges is to learn the speed with which to press buttons....not too fast....not too long. Quickly becomes second nature. Yup...it could probably drive a shrimp boat and that strength is part of the safety margin ....BUT..keep in mind your attachment points need to be equally strong (weakest link issue.......in this years Long Pac...attachment point failure lead to loss of autopilot ability in one boat). Double antenna is NOT my idea (just one I borrowed from some smart person on this forum....I just can't remember which post to give credit to).
    Chris,
    In talking to Bob Congdon, he told me that that apparently practically no one works in France in August, including the NKE folks, so I took your advice and ordered the rest of the operating system, save the remotes and spare display. Turns out that the main display is not immediately available either, but the rest of the system order is being processed for delivery, and I will certainly have it soon. Bob is tentatively scheduled for coming in on Sept 30th and leaving three days later. We are busting our butts to get the boat sailing before he arrives so he can teach me how fast to push the buttons. And the rest of it. I sent off the entry to the Oct. 31st Havana race yesterday to apply pressure on myself to get this project finished. My main help, Ryan Finn, just got back from Seattle where he was looking at a Proa to buy. Apparently buying a new boat for a man must be something like raging hormones in an 18 year old on first love. Its hard to keep his mind on my project as he moons around thinking of his new love.
    Jim
    P.S. I kind of think the French have it right. Its way too hot here to be outside in August. Better to be on holiday.