Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910

Thread: Tracker Chatter

"He had the antenna he used to contact Rob Macfarlane four years ago. At that time Rob was participating in the 2011 Long Pac and Brian was able to communicate with him on Tiger Beetle 200 miles offshore. "

Actually, just for accuracy, it was the 2013 Long Pac, and we (on Tiger Beetle) were not terribly far beyond the Farallones when we talked to him around 8pm the first night of that race. It was still amazing to be talking to him that far out and he was clear as a bell to us. We had already retired and were heading back when we talked to him. He did later on in the race contact someone else much further out than we had been, I believe it was Maris, but ask Brian.

Oh and if you are having difficulty with the refresh of the trackers - i.e. the 5am track time issue - try switching browsers to Mozilla. Apparently there is a known issue with some Internet Explorer and Chrome browser versions. They are working on that.
    Last edited by kapiib; 07-13-2015 at 10:15 PM.

David also noted 20 25 kt winds, seas from an unexpected direction, one autopilot actuator mounting bracket is broken. He is hand steering a lot. He noted that a bit calmer conditions closer to shore would be a nice relief. At 2010 PDT he was 38 miles due west of the first San Francisco entry channel.

Temerity is showing up via AIS on Marinetraffic.com now. David is currently about halfway between Pt. Reyes and the South Farallon Islands, doing 6.9 kts. Way to go Temerity!

This should be a link to Temerity on Marinetraffic.com: http://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/...395548/zoom:10

You just gotta love this group. I am so so so SO lucky to be hanging out in this awesome spot -- GGYC -- to wait on TEMERITY to cross the finish line. Thank Goddess for George who is sticking past his shift to shoot the gun, Charlie from Napa is here and John S/V OWL brought his boat down to the party this afternoon. After SOUTHERNAIRE came back in the Bay he stopped by here and chatted us up for an hour or two. Just all round great day to be in SF.

Way to go David !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by kapiib View Post
    "He did later on in the race contact someone else much further out than we had been, I believe it was Maris, but ask Brian..
    It was early morning during the 2013 LongPac and Carroll E was only a few miles away from the turnaround. I was making coffee trying to maintain a steady hand in order to keep hot water aimed at the grinds and not the crotch of my foulies. I had the VHF volume turned up, but well squelched, to alarm me during the previous night if hailed. All of sudden Brian's voice thundered out of the speaker as crystal-clear as if he were right there in the cockpit! I recall the conversation being brief, I think I was having a "is this God, and how did he do that" moment.

Congrats to the fleet on an heroic show of perseverance! i was going to ghost the race this year, but lost interest the day before having seen the forecast.

Chris
    Last edited by ChrisH; 07-14-2015 at 10:41 AM.

LIGHTSPEED just passed the COLREGS line at 9 knots SOG - must feel good after all the other . . . go Rick!

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisH View Post
    It was early morning during the 2013 LongPac and Carroll E was only a few miles away from the turnaround. I was making coffee trying to maintain a steady hand in order to keep hot water aimed at the grinds and not the crotch of my foulies. I had the VHF volume turned up, but well squelched, to alarm me during the previous night if hailed. All of sudden Brian's voice thundered out of the speaker as crystal-clear as if he were right there in the cockpit! I recall the conversation being brief, I think I was having a "is this God, and how did he do that" moment.

Congrats to the fleet on an heroic show of perseverance! i was going to ghost the race this year, but lost interest the day before having seen the forecast.

Chris

Aha! I was close - at least I got the Dana 24 part right in my memory!!

Quote Originally Posted by kapiib View Post
    Aha! I was close - at least I got the Dana 24 part right in my memory!!
    In the spirit of s/v Space Cowboy, I should probably restate my mind-set and thoughts at the time as "am I hydrated, and is this an alien abduction about to take place."

LOL - Thanks for the giggle - made my afternoon. After being up at 3am listening to Temerity arrive and the marina visit, I'm feeling a tad like the good ship s/v S.C. myself. In total tracker land no less, GPLR on one page and TB on another heading into CA customs which I will be able to watch on webcam. Gotta love technology...I'm sure the aliens are watching us.