Thread: SSB Weather channel and times

Default SSB Weather channel and times

I decided not to fire up the SatPhone for weather gribs for this short race but instead to test a DeLorme tracker with text messages to keep Admiral Linda & family happy

The weather is looking very nice and maybe too ight. To follow the weather if I get out of VHF range I have a icom ic-r75 SSB but it is a receiver only. I have searched the SSB weather websites but they all look like scrambled eggs on Chanel's and transmit time. Can any of you SSB guys fill me in on the weather transmits and channel transmit times?....Thanks.....Rick

http://www.nws.noaa.gov/om/marine/hfreyes_links.htm

If you want to listen to Iron Mike instead of fiddling with the audio port on your laptop to see the charts, here's the HF voice sched:

Pt. Reyes(NMC) HF Voice Broadcast Schedule
    4426, 8764, 13089 kHz (USB) 0430Z 1030Z
    8764, 13089, 17314 kHz (USB) 1630Z 2230Z

I kept a second watch in the nav station set to UTC (for when my brain wasn't working) 'cause if you miss it you have to wait for the next one.
    Last edited by BobJ; 07-06-2015 at 10:52 PM.

pogen is offline Sailing canoe "Kūʻaupaʻa"

I've tried to do the HF radiofax via computer thing a bunch of times, using a very cheap radio, and never had much luck. I probably need a slightly less cheap receiver. But either way, you have to be ready and tuned in at the right time for a certain chart.

The satphone rental is cheap and spoils you pretty quick. But the antenna rental is very expensive!

Same here, even using an Icom 802 - I gave up and rented a satphone. Also, Pt. Reyes may be too close in most conditions. Even on 4 band the signal may skip right over you. I usually hear Kodiak weather just fine (for all the good that does).

pogen is offline Sailing canoe "Kūʻaupaʻa"

My problem seemed to be the receiver preamp had too much gain, all the urban RF pollution would swamp it most of the time.

Thanks Bob...I will give it a try...Weather looks light enought to have lots of time to play around with the SSB receiver. Sorry to hear you and Ragtime could not come out and play for this one. Dirk and I will try to hold down the 108 and under fort in your absence....