Thread: Delorme Gribs?

Default Delorme Gribs?

Is there any way to download weather forecast grib files using a Delorme InReach by linking it to a laptop or other device?

No. The IridiumGo or Iridium phone are the way to go for those. You can do an unlimited data plan on the IridiumGo for like $125 a month and get all the GRIBs you want.

There are at least one or two SSSrs I talked to in prep for SHF that claimed to have gotten gribs using the Inreach SE, but I have to figure out who they were and I did not get the details of what or how they got them. I have used Delorme for e-mail both standalone and with the Earthmate app, but as far as I have known that function will only accept 160 characters and I have not been made aware of a way to accept a grib file. OCENS SPotCast weather service can be used with Inreach, but that is not really a grib, rather a forecast formatted to fit in the message parameters. If I find out more info I will post.

Quote Originally Posted by kapiib View Post
    There are at least one or two SSSrs I talked to in prep for SHF that claimed to have gotten gribs using the Inreach SE
    Never heard of such service and I don't think it's technically possible as the InReach uses the Iridium SMS network with very limited text messaging capabilities. For GRIBs you need real data download capabilities. The IridiumGo is 3x the price of the InReach (still much less than a SatPhone) but provides full fledged data and voice..... a completely different league than the InReach.

OCENS offers a lat/lon specific weather service which you can obtain by sending their server a simple lat/lon request. It isn't as elegant as gribs but it is easy to use and pretty accurate based upon my LongPac experience. You can request as many reports as you like for about $10 per month, no contract, just pay for duration you need. I thought it was a pretty good solution.