Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Drakes Bay

Default Drakes Bay

I am a newb and after years of wanting I am going to sail my first SSS race to Drakes Bay....unless my first is Half moon.
    I still need to burn a couple thousand on safety equip and a sail or 2 but working on it.
    What is the evening schedule at Drakes??? do I need to bring a dink? where do we anchor? are we boat bound?

Default No schedule

This is the second time SSS will do this race which has been an OYRA staple for many years. Just anchor or raft up in the bay and enjoy the evening. Use to shoot off old flares but after a fire was started last year I doubt the Coasties will allow that again.

Hi - I'm also a newb to Drakes Bay... Any advice on anchors -- assume a danforth is okay? I'll be brining two anchors with me.

Default Anchor carefully

Anchor carefully as there are areas of kelp scattered around. What ever you use make sure it is set. May take several tries of moving from place to place. The anchor symbol on the charts is a good starting point but the committee boat is likely to there.

pogen is offline Sailing canoe "Kūʻaupaʻa"

Can we have the committee boat show a strobe light or something, or publish the precise gps coordinates of the finish? I had a lot of trouble finding it in the dark last time.

Temerity, your tenacity was apparent last year already - sailing the whole way and arriving after dark, when we were all snug in our vberths.

I'm hoping to get there before midnight.. I have a new super duper spade anchor appropriate for a much bigger boat. I've never anchored DM, this is a first. In the dark. OMG the terror. I might try to raft up to Krissy again instead. Wonder how that will go? "Krissy Krissy Krissy, this is Dura Mater, do you read me?"
    Last edited by Philpott; 08-05-2015 at 08:19 PM.

Lightspeed missed this race in 2013 with the rig pulled for the SHTP. She has a good anchor that held in Hanalei Bay during the tail end of a tropical storm the day we were to leave. Rafter up's are welcome and I will keep 16 on but remember BYOB....Rick

I hope to make it up there. Been many times with OYRA races. Anchoring was always pretty straight forward. One thing to watch for on the weather charts is the appearance of a southerly.

My Drakes Bay problem isn't finding the place nor anchoring - things I've done dozens of times over the past 40 year. It's getting registered! I have listed myself and my crew member (doublehande), with information, on the Jibeset website, but on the list of entrants that information seems to be missing? I find Jibeset troublesome when it comes to POB lists! I've tried tonight; I'll try again tomorrow. "NANCY's" Pat

There is a well defined notch in the land surrounding the bay. The wind positively howls thru that notch. I've always found anchoring away from the notch provided a better lee. Enjoy the race.