Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Drakes Bay

Default New Boat

[QUOTE=BobJ;12043]Tom (what boat are you sailing now?) ...

Bob,

Thanks for the link to the race report. This helps a lot.

As for my current ride, I have a new (to me) Capo 30 that I have been putting together for the past 6 months. About 4 months longer than I thought it would take... With luck, I will make the last couple of SH races his season. For Drakes Bay I'm crewing on an OYRA boat. Crewing is fine, but I'm looking forward to having my own boat again.

Tom

Of course, last year when Carliane and I sailed in Dura Mater I had failed to adequately prepare a strategy. What I mean by this, is that we focused more on grilled chicken and a white wine for dinner than on currents. A result of that failure was that we stayed put in one place in the channel for hours. Hours. That written, here is a tidbit from my favorite sailing book: "Currents in the Bonita Channel run north to south through most of the tide cycle... Currents ebb south to north for the two hours leading up to maximum ebb." Kimball Livingston. There is more, but you will have to buy the boat to read it yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Philpott View Post
    Of course, last year when Carliane and I sailed in Dura Mater I had failed to adequately prepare a strategy. What I mean by this, is that we focused more on grilled chicken and a white wine for dinner than on currents. A result of that failure was that we stayed put in one place in the channel for hours. Hours. That written, here is a tidbit from my favorite sailing book: "Currents in the Bonita Channel run north to south through most of the tide cycle... Currents ebb south to north for the two hours leading up to maximum ebb." Kimball Livingston. There is more, but you will have to buy the boat to read it yourself.
    Well, I didn't want to mention the "hours" part, but after tacking 3 or 4 times, and seeing that $%&*# Bonita Channel still off to starboard, it was hard to be patient. Jackie kept saying, "see, we're making 5 knots!" She is the eternal optimist! It was a learning exercise, fer sure, but Jackie's got game and she motored Dura Mater for a couple of hours to get us into Drake's Bay before the sun set. She doesn't drink wine, but brought a very lovely one for Allen, who we rafted up with, and me to enjoy. And enjoy we did. It was a lovely end to a frustrating day. Give me 30 knots of wind any day

Looking a little light out there for the weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by mike cunningham View Post
    Looking a little light out there for the weekend.
    Yep, you guys and gals have fun! I'm going to miss the raft up, but I'll be diving off Monterey. The surge models and humpback sightings say it's gonna be great

Waterwomen have options!

Okay so I'm looking at the fleet assignments (and I didn't do this combined SSS/OYRA race thing last year). Does SSS flag D start with OYRA flag D? F with F, etc.?

Howzit work?

Edit: Answer: On the Jibeset OYRA race page we need to print out the Combined Fleet List on the Notice Board near the bottom. It's not on Jibeset's SSS race page. It shows how the flags/fleets will be combined.
    Last edited by BobJ; 08-21-2015 at 08:43 AM.

A big pod of singlehanders out there! That suggests a healthy environment for 'em.

Bob, I noticed the Attachment I is dated the 19th and fleets assignments I & II on the 20th and it appears they conflict with each other, let alone SSS fleets. Going to be a very interesting start unless someone can clarify....

Starting to make sense. Looks like a typo and just left out "SHS" between OYRA and PHRF in 108 and under. PHRO 1,2,3 have their own starts...
    Last edited by Lightspeed; 08-20-2015 at 01:11 PM.

pogen is offline Sailing canoe "Kūʻaupaʻa"

It is a bit messed up; ORYA G and H are missing from Saturday, and there is a OYRA flag XX listed for the shorthanders on Sunday. So, OYRA has Divs C D E F for Saturday, C E H XX for Sunday.

Looks like there are a lot of Saturday-only boats, the SSS has only one fleet assignment, so I assume the sequence will be the same both days.

The Saturday start for Fleet D (phrf < 108) will be fairly busy, 14 boats it seems. I hope they give us a nice long line. CYC is not my fave place to start.

Quote Originally Posted by pogen View Post
    The Saturday start for Fleet D (phrf < 108) will be fairly busy, 14 boats it seems.
    David, that's the way I first read it. Now I think if you ad the "SHS" in YRA D- Delta Flag it is only 7 starters, (5) SSS Fleet D and only two YRA 108 under in YRA Flag F Bluzzz and Zsa Zsa. But what do I know...