Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Drakes Bay

Quote Originally Posted by P. Broderick - Elaine View Post
    My Drakes Bay problem isn't finding the place nor anchoring - things I've done dozens of times over the past 40 year. It's getting registered! I have listed myself and my crew member (doublehande), with information, on the Jibeset website, but on the list of entrants that information seems to be missing? I find Jibeset troublesome when it comes to POB lists! I've tried tonight; I'll try again tomorrow. "NANCY's" Pat
    Judging on the radio chatter before the start some of the registration was occurring between fleets crossing the line.

Quote Originally Posted by brianb View Post
    Judging on the radio chatter before the start some of the registration was occurring between fleets crossing the line.
    Yes, it sounded like people were registering as we started. And at the end the RC couldn't tell the difference between Whirlwind and Nancy. Huh? Chris on Fugu got a horrific spinnaker wrap and got knocked down twice, called in to retire, then worked through it without starting his engine. He radioed the RC to withdraw his retirement, crossed the finish line sans spinnaker. Go, Chris!
    Last edited by Philpott; 08-24-2015 at 04:25 PM.

Maybe he finished, or maybe nobody did since they pulled the finish pin "for safety reasons." If there was a pin and it was the Pt. Stuart buoy, some said it was #2 and others said it was #4. A radio "discussion" ensued.

Free the Chris! (Or is it "Finish the Chris!")

pogen is offline Sailing canoe "Kūʻaupaʻa"

Does anyone know why they couldn't have a mark at the finish on Sunday?

It would be fun to speculate but overall, thanks to the CYC for running the race. That's quite a commitment to run a powerboat up there to finish everyone and start them again the next morning.

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    Maybe he finished, or maybe nobody did since they pulled the finish pin "for safety reasons." If there was a pin and it was the Pt. Stuart buoy, some said it was #2 and others said it was #4. A radio "discussion" ensued.

Free the Chris! (Or is it "Finish the Chris!")
    Actually I have learned that there is some controversy. When he got the terrible wrap and after he was knocked down two times, Chris called in to retire. After regaining his equilibrium, he called in to retract his retirement and finished without starting his engine (sans spinnaker). There is some issue about whether RC allowed him to finish. What is the rule about this? [I know what the Jackie rule would be: finish the Chris!]

pogen is offline Sailing canoe "Kūʻaupaʻa"

I suspect the rule is that one is not allowed to retract a retirement.

The rules also specify the use of a gun for starts, or, failing that, saying 'bang' over the radio.

I got a scary wrap right under the GG Bridge, so I am sympathetic.

Sailing and completing an ocean/bay race singlehanded takes courage, preparation, and a bit of luck. Many of us have experienced withdrawing from a race for any number of reasons. That too takes courage. And we relate to each other's predicaments.

Though at the time I was racing in Monterey Bay, not Drakes Bay, I have compassion and admiration for the skipper of FUGU, and congratulate him for his seamanship of getting his wrapped spinnaker lowered and then completing the course under sail.

Maybe Chris could detail how he accomplished the not trivial means of dealing with his wrapped spinnaker. One SSS SHTP skipper many of us know solved the problem by lighting his impossibly wrapped spinnaker on fire with a flare.

For better or worse, we race by a set of rules, the 2013-2016 Racing Rules of Sailing and their Prescriptions. (RRS). The Definition of "Racing" is:
    A boat is racing from her preparatory signal until she finishes and clears the finishing line and marks or retires, or until the race committee signals a general recall, postponement or abandonment.

My thinking, perhaps not everyone's, is that to officially retire, for whatever reason, and therefore cease racing by definition of the RRS, then begin racing again at some later point and time, even if no advantage was gained, sets a precedent that not everyone may be comfortable with.

My 2 cents.
    Last edited by sleddog; 08-24-2015 at 09:34 PM.

It is cool, CYC did it precisely by the book. They informed the entire fleet in the prescribed manner, prior to anyone finishing. They could have also chosen to shorten the course. It was fun having the entire channel to use as a line.

I'm told some OYRA boats may have requested redress so we'll get to find out whether it was "by the book" or not. I deleted the earlier part of this post - I keep telling myself not to get worked up about this stuff.

To shorten the course they would have had to finish everyone at Duxbury (the previous mark).
    Last edited by BobJ; 08-24-2015 at 10:42 PM.