Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: Drakes Bay

Damn sorry I missed the party!... I did not mean to be anti-social but I had the flu the week before the race and decided I better keep it to myself. Dropped anchor and sleep the clock around.

Tough angle for Lightspeed going up with either the 140 flapping or the spinnaker back winding on the last half. Looked like a great angle for the J boats. Felt better coming back and a great angle for symmetrical after Duxbury.

Curious if any symmetrical boats used asymmetrical off their poles? (legal to carry both now without penalty if declared).

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    This reminds me that it's again time to have the boat detailed, vacuum the bilge etc.
    ha! you kill me! Dura Mater got hosed down. And you wonder why no whales come nosing around.

Sorry to have missed the party, especially banana bread and pizza! But there was warm water diving and whales galore off Monterey in flat seas on an inflatable with a 90 hp Honda - zoom, zoom

https://youtu.be/cIjSgsvggoU

Quote Originally Posted by brianb View Post
    New Topic: Does anyone know how to clean crushed flies, cherry, and berry stains from the none skid on an older boat deck ? I was able to get all pizza sauce and banana bread crumbs out of the traveler track with a tooth brush.
    Finally, a question I can answer with authority. After 16 years of living on the delta, Jacqueline has been besmirched by blueberry eating, lifeline partying birds more times than I can count. The blueberry juice comes out the same way it went in. BLUE. It stains hell out of anything it touches.

But the good news is, do nothing. If the stains are on deck, the sun will bleach it out in a week or two. It's magic and its free. You guys do get sun up on the bay from time to time don't you?

I wish I had made the race, I tried, but ran out of steam getting up there. Plus I forgot to buy coffee and the prospect of no hot coffee in the morning was just too much to bear.

Quote Originally Posted by mike cunningham View Post
    Plus I forgot to buy coffee and the prospect of no hot coffee in the morning was just too much to bear.
    Mike, Dura Mater always has strong coffee aboard and you are welcome to it any time, especially if you make the arduous trek up to the sometimes overcast east bay.

Quote Originally Posted by Philpott View Post
    Mike, Dura Mater always has strong coffee aboard and you are welcome to it any time, especially if you make the arduous trek up to the sometimes overcast east bay.
    Thanks Jackie for removing my last vestage of an excuse

Chris of FUGU here. This story is to serve as a warning to others. Nasty wrap due to sailing too deep, my greed trying to stay in the flood and out of the ebb driven by this devilishly well sailed sister-ship that had been chasing me all day!! Once wrapped it kept getting tighter despite releasing the halyard and tugging frantically down at the head stay. I decided to finish then deal with it later, but after two knockdowns, I decided Plan A was terrible. In the first knockdown, as the water slowly rose up the side deck, I thought "I remember now, we used to put in the hatch-boards on the E27 in these conditions" I forgotten that lesson after 11 year of sailing my 9,000 lb Dehler 34. Relearned it on Sunday!! Now it dawned on me that if I continued to the finish and approached Pt Stuart, that if another gust caught me, I would have little time before my boat was on the island. So I decided to jibe as I'd learned a while ago that jibing will help unwrap wraps, also in that direction was more sea room, I expected to be wrestling with the thing until Point Blunt as least, so I quickly radioed the race deck that I was withdrawing, thinking that once on the other side of Angel Island communication would be more difficult, they acknowledged.
    I jibed to starboard, set the autopilot, and headed to the bow. The reverse eddy on this jibe loosened the wrap, and quickly I was able to pull it down and off the forestay, stuffed the monster down the hatch. Picked my head up and realized if i jibed back I could still lay Pt. Stuart on port without tacking. Elated at avoiding destruction, I radio'ed the race deck asking if I could withdraw my withdraw, they agreed to take my finish time, but deferred to the RC as to what they might do with it.

Now if this situation causes a difficult precedent for our peers who have volunteered to run these races, I will happily accept my results being changed to DNF. The work of the RC's is difficult enough without having to deal with a storm of controversy caused by a cheeky devil who had the nerve to ask for a withdraw to be withdrawn.

You cheeky devil. Glad you got it worked out and kept the water 'under' the boat! I hope they score you.

I just noticed the results for both Sat & Sun were removed from sss jibeset but YRA results are still up. I did read the post by Chris above and hope he is OK but that was only Sunday. Any scuttlebutt?

We just got an e-mail from Allen, explaining why they temporarily took down the results.
    Last edited by BobJ; 08-30-2015 at 11:02 AM.