Thread: Lesson's Learned (Ventus).....for those considering this race in the future.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Lesson's Learned (Ventus).....for those considering this race in the future.

First some appreciation for this group of people making this possible!!!

I entered this race in a new boat J/88 that I purchased with the intent of daysailing on the bay. I had some training in offshore sailing and navigation and had about 3,000 offshore miles prior to this event.....however they were in larger boats with a crew.

If you are thinking of doing this event......I would highly encourage a week or two offshore as part of a crew and either informal or formal education.

My experience of the Long Pac was similar to most of the stories already reported.......what follows is a distillation of what I learned now looking back on it a week or so later.

The four priorities in order of importance

1) Sail the boat
    2) Manage the crew
    3) Navigate
    4) Communicate

1) In general I knew what sails I needed for what conditions. However, I didn't have a plan book for when to move from my small jib to my storm jib. The last day beam reaching in 20-25knots I was way overpowered so put in the first reef then the second(in part because this was easy). At this point it was getting dark and still overpowered. I ended up rolling up the jib and continuing along with double reef. This worked.....but it would have been better for me to go to storm jib before putting the second reef in. At this point the wind/sea state would have been more conducive to changing out the sail. If I had been underpowered I could have always taken out the first reef. Although I knew intellectually that sea state/wind waves develop more offshore than in bay......years of sailing in 25 knots in the bay left me a little complacent.

2) Manage the crew. This is basically food and rest. I would encourage skipping any notion of regular meals and go with a variety of options. Definitely some gatorade or pedialyte (this was Dave's idea..thought he was crazy) but in rough sea state....being able to sip on a little fluid solution was helpful. Keep an eye on your urine color as a measure of hydration status.....goal is pale yellow. Some freeze dry was nice, and some fruit cups worked for me. Sleep is where I could have done better. I am used to sleeping when tired. And essentially sail till tired and then sleep. I would in further make more of an effort to sleep/rest very early on. Figuring out a way to cat nap in the cockpit would have helped. With time I figured out how to see instruments from my bunk so could rest....check direction/check AIS etc.

3) Navigation. Make sure you are comfortable coming by the Farallons, crossing the shipping channels/or bypassing them at night when tired and in rough conditions. I had done this quite a few times so felt comfortable in this area. A single Farallons outing would not be enough.

4) Communicate. Although I had a new radio installation and all tested fine in bay......I experienced some difficulty communicating with other sailboats....not sure why....but communicating with the large ships fine...although this is important I would put it as the last priority.

Fair winds,
    Chris

I've read all the trip reports from the Long Pac and have a great appreciation for all the knowledge learned and shared. Thanks to everyone for sharing...and Bravo to everyone who participated in the Long Pac. I don't envy any of you, but I definitely respect all of you.
    Chris, I liked how you prioritized sailing the boat as #1. Having a plan on when to make sail changes and sticking to it has got to be it. It makes perfect sense that if the boat is balanced and sailing herself via AP all other issues can be dealt with.

It is easy to get distracted from that with the large multitude of other tasks and accept a sail plan that isn't quite right.

One thing I forgot....but did....go sailing with an experienced single hand sailor. I was fortunate to go with Bob Johnstone on Ragtime......similar boat to mine and was especially impressed with the slow/patient and efficient approach. (slow is the wrong word...he didn't rush but everything happened quickly) I have a tendency to rush....and end up with lines in a pile to sort out....DONT.
    flake every line immediately so it is ready to go. Finish one task move on...and Practice!

Thanks Chris but you were a natural. Here you are "escaping from Alcatraz" two days after Christmas:

Thanks Chris. How do you get from the roller furled jib to smaller "storm" jib? Would you be removing the larger jib from the luff groove then replacing the storm jib into the luff groove? Or a separate stay?

Todd

It is not ideal. Remove from luff groove and replace. I have some loose netting on the lifelines foreward to keep the sail from blowing overboard. The battens are horizontal in the jibe so can get it flat on deck, tied up like a long sausage and drug out of harms way. Bill Colombo (Doyle) was smart enough to design some tie points along the jibs luff, so it could be hoisted even if the foil/luff groove is damaged. I have wondered about the gale sail (goes over the furled jib) as it would be quicker. But then I would use the spin halyard to hoist the jib.....
    Hanks would appear to have some advantages in this case, as sail can just be dropped and tied with more gusto. I have to bring tail of jib halyard forward to maintain some sort of control.

Separate Stay would be the "best" solution....but starts to get beyond the design scope of a daysailor/class racing boat......and has more complexity deck hardward....etc etc etc.

HOWEVER.....if/when I get around to a world cruiser....that plus a separate track for storm trysail.....both in bags on deck ready to go.....another fantasy.......

Bob is very kind. Once you understand he has a secret apparatus that unfolds underneath his boat increasing the waterline length by 8 feet...you don't feel so bad when he goes by you.

My diver ratted me out eh?

I have one of those ATN Gale Sails you guys can try if you like. I bought it from Etienne (aka "ATN") at the boat show, mostly because I liked the idea that it clips on over the rolled-up jib so you don't have to turn a sail loose on the foredeck in bad conditions. Like most of our storm sails it has never been used (and hopefully never will be). Let me know and I'll get it to you to play with.

I also have an inner stay on which I can set a hanked-on jib. It was a bigger project than I expected but it works pretty well. Lots of photos available if you want to check it out.
    Last edited by BobJ; 07-24-2015 at 12:40 PM.