Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Take Alcatraz

Kynntana will be full of women sailors (7 of us) going to Angel Island for a hike on Sunday. We'll look for you guys out there racing your little hearts out

Take Alcatraz: Take Two for Dura Mater

061816 Conditions 1014 = 2.4 flood; 1549 = 2.1 ebb, didn't consider the effect that might have on our results. Hmmm. Not the smartest sailor.

Start: 11:46:40 Finish: 3:08:57 Wind seemed to be about 10 - 15 knots with bigger gusts. My reckoning? DM's elapsed time was 3:22:17.Better than last time by 20 seconds, and in less agreeable conditions. Subtraction may be wrong :-)

Go for it, Cavers and Johnston! Anyone else on this Fête des pères?

Nice Jackie! Corrected out, I'm sure you beat me.

Rock On, 061916... Start: 10:35:00, Finish: 13:31:00pm. Elapsed: 2:56 min.
    Conditions 11:09AM 3.60 flood 2:24PM Slack 4:36PM -2.32 ebb.

FYI, I wasn't smart about my start time either because I needed to get back by 2 or so today. But for a clockwise rounding, I think the best time to start is about 3 hours after the max flood at GG (that would have meant starting at 14:09 today, which I just couldn't do!) Play around with these current maps and see if you agree.

Winds started out northerly but light. Although light, I had my hopes up that I would make it there in one tack! But then at 1130 or so, the winds died for a short while and then flipped west. The winds grew to 10-15, but it was clear when I rounded at 1230 or so that all was lost as far a the record goes. I still managed to get around, though, and had a great sail back under spinnaker. A beautiful day!

The record stands... unless maybe, Bob has something to report?!

Quote Originally Posted by Philpott View Post
    Take Alcatraz: Take Two for Dura Mater

061816 Conditions 1014 = 2.4 flood; 1549 = 2.1 ebb, didn't consider the effect that might have on our results. Hmmm. Not the smartest sailor.

Start: 11:46:40 Finish: 3:08:57 Wind seemed to be about 10 - 15 knots with bigger gusts. My reckoning? DM's elapsed time was 3:22:17.Better than last time by 20 seconds, and in less agreeable conditions. Subtraction may be wrong :-)

Go for it, Cavers and Johnston! Anyone else on this Fête des pères?
    Last edited by 255grizzly; 06-19-2016 at 04:55 PM.

I went solo sailing today but I didn't come down that way. Before I tried to use it in the Silver Eaglet, I wanted to remind myself why I had shelved the spinnaker sock for use inside the Bay, for multiple hoists etc. I successfully reminded myself and the sock is headed back for the shelf. Short explanation - it's a sprit boat problem.

I'll crunch your numbers tomorrow - great to hear you both "took Alcatraz." Now give it back!

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    I went solo sailing today but I didn't come down that way. Before I tried to use it in the Silver Eaglet, I wanted to remind myself why I had shelved the spinnaker sock for use inside the Bay, for multiple hoists etc. I successfully reminded myself and the sock is headed back for the shelf. Short explanation - it's a sprit boat problem.

I'll crunch your numbers tomorrow - great to hear you both "took Alcatraz." Now give it back!
    Did it wrap all around everything? Did it fall under the boat? Were you swearing and sweating and did you almost fall off the boat? Cuz "I successfully reminded myself" is a very understated way of describing all those things.

I probably said "Hmm, that's not a good look." I might have said "That's not fast." Anyway, I stripped the kite out of the sock and rehoisted it to dry out (if that tells you anything).

I can't duplicate my calculations from last December for Windtrip Infinity's run. I suspect the TOT formula was changed for 2016 (I've been using the formula from our SSI's). That's why I have to do this tomorrow - it might be a brain malfunction - but if anyone has the 2015 SSI's could you tell me what the TOT factors were? EDIT - Found them. Yes, they were changed.

So we can keep the results apples-to-apples, the "Take Alcatraz" Challenge shall be scored using TCF=720/(550+PHRF).
    Last edited by BobJ; 06-19-2016 at 10:49 PM.

Default Results are Up

Results from last weekend's "Take Alcatraz" challengers:

DURA MATER (PHRF 213): Elapsed 3:22:17, Corrected 3:10:53. DM's previous attempt was with a bodacious midwinter southerly: Elapsed 2:15:21, Corrected 2:08:14.

ROCK ON (PHRF 162): Elapsed 2:56:00, Corrected 2:57:59.

Record to beat: WINDTRIP INFINITY (PHRF 96): Corrected 1:53:00, during the same bodacious midwinter southerly last December.

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    Results from last weekend's "Take Alcatraz" challengers:

DURA MATER (PHRF 213): Elapsed 3:22:17, Corrected 3:10:53. DM's previous attempt was with a bodacious midwinter southerly: Elapsed 2:15:21, Corrected 2:08:14.
    ROCK ON (PHRF 162): Elapsed 2:56:00, Corrected 2:57:59.
    Record to beat: WINDTRIP INFINITY (PHRF 96): Corrected 1:53:00, during the same bodacious midwinter southerly last December.
    Thank you, Bob, for that masterful rendering of our results. However, I must point out that - sad but true - my previous elapsed time was 3:15:21. It is for good reason that the skipper of Rock On! is known as "the tweaker" around the Berkeley Marina. Not for reasons you might suspect of a Berkeley denizen, or of someone depicted in the film The Salton Sea, but because he's always thinking of how to make it go faster. And it does. So thank you for that momentary leap of hope.

So posts #28 and 29 have been wrong for lo, these many months? Do you realize this has given false hope to hundreds of Cal 2-27 owners?

The unreasonable expectations thus created can only be ameliorated with the acquisition and use of a (free) genoa.

I tweak, therefore I am. Alas, I can't afford to tweak the big things, so I enjoy tweaking the little things. It keeps me out of trouble

This is really fun to see a collection of data about what works and doesn't to get around the Rock (even if I'm not on top of the list.) Here's a detailed ranking with the comments about wind and the current at the time of departure.

Name:  Screen Shot 2016-06-20 at 9.19.03 PM.png
Views: 728
Size:  128.2 KB

I'm going to keep adding to the list of attempts and I hope others will too (I'll try to keep track).

I may make an attempt this Wednesday evening if I can fit it in. The boat is named Rock On, after all.
    Last edited by 255grizzly; 06-20-2016 at 09:21 PM.