Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Take Alcatraz

Nice video Jackie.

Where's Nightmare!

Upon reflection I realize it was poor seamanship to announce I would be there, and then go do something else.

Duly noted.

Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Daydreamer View Post
    Nice video Jackie.

Where's Nightmare!=Upon reflection I realize it was poor seamanship to announce I would be there, and then go do something else.Duly noted.Greg
    aw, Greg! It set you up for a perfect tease, that's all. Race you to Drakes Bay?

Tom Cavers (Rock On!) had a trophy made for the Take Alcatraz challenge. It is a framed 8 x 10" black and white photograph of the ruins of the Berkeley pier with Alcatraz in the distance. Very classy. At the bottom it reads: "For exclusive possession by the record holder of the Singlehanded Sailing Society's Take Alcatraz Challenge". It is currently at my house. If you want it for your house or boat, beat the record of 3:22:37. Thanks, Tom!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Now who would even think of taking YOUR trophy away from you? It would take me too long to get my boat up there to even try...which I wouldn't. Might try for o3:22:38 tho. It all sounds like fun, but not available to me here in South Carolina....But my low taxes more than make up for it...

Quote Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
    Now who would even think of taking YOUR trophy away from you? It would take me too long to get my boat up there to even try...which I wouldn't. Might try for o3:22:38 tho. It all sounds like fun, but not available to me here in South Carolina....But my low taxes more than make up for it...
    You'll be up here for the Transpac in June. Of this I am certain. I'll race you for it, although by then I suspect it will have changed hands several times. Tom didn't order such a nice photograph just to give it away.

I propose that we re-visit the Singlehanded Alcatraz Challenge. It has been almost five months since that historic race, and Tom Cavers' beautiful trophy photograph has been in a place of honor on my politically incorrect fireplace mantle long enough.

Let's race again next weekend! from the Berkeley Yacht Club buoy around Alcatraz and back. Wrest it from DM if you are able! All singlehanders invited. Saturday/December 19/Max ebb 3.1 ebb @10am or Sunday/December 20/max ebb 3.8 @ 11 am.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Philpott; 12-13-2015 at 11:57 AM.

To re-phrase that invitation: Anyone can race. Everyone is invited. But only a singlehander can capture the trophy. Carliane, that means you and Beccie. David, bring that pretty daughter of yours. Bob, come in cruising mode. Wilderness Wonks, come without your engines. Synthia, bring the puppy.

Okay, I'll do it with the dodger, pink flamingo and toilet seat. Maybe next Sunday - we'll see how my week goes.

The title of this thread reminds me of Henny Youngman's line.

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    Okay, I'll do it with the dodger, pink flamingo and toilet seat. Maybe next Sunday - we'll see how my week goes.

The title of this thread reminds me of Henny Youngman's line.
    "take my husband. Please". ?

Something like that.