Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Take Alcatraz

I'm in if it's Sunday. Weather permitting...

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Gutoff View Post
    I'm in if it's Sunday. Weather permitting...
    Excellent! Sunday December 20. Imagine a start line between the Berkeley Pier and an imaginary perpendicular line over to the yellow BYC buoy as the pin. Start = 11 am with the buoy to port. Circle Alcatraz either way. No committee boat or kayak. No postponements. Any sail. Post your finish time here.

Oh so now it's getting all complicated. "Yesterday I couldn't even SPELL perpendicular and now I ARE one!"

Besides, I was hoping to pick my current.

I plan to be there tomorrow. Will monitor VHF 72, and I am shooting to start the course approx 11A.

Todd

Quote Originally Posted by todd22123 View Post
    I plan to be there tomorrow. Will monitor VHF 72, and I am shooting to start the course approx 11A. Todd
    Excellent, Todd! See you out there @ 11 am. There's another J 92 in the Club, a blue hull, but her owner has already shuttered her against the winter cold (!!!!????).

Yeah, yeah - I'm still thinking about it . . .

Okay I thought about it (as I listen to the rain hitting the skylights). Have fun out there.
    Last edited by BobJ; 12-20-2015 at 10:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    Yeah, yeah - I'm still thinking about it . . .

Okay I thought about it (as I listen to the rain hitting the skylights). Have fun out there.
    yes, indeedie it is raining. I hope Todd of Windtrip Infinity is not from Minnesota because he might just come out in this weather (south wind very cold) and call it pleasant. On the other hand if he sails around Alcatraz he'll gain the trophy. Scoreboard and all that. But I'm sitting inside DM's cabin w my Pelagic on the seat cushion next to me ... Listening to the rain and to the halyards clanking all around. Another day another sail.
    Last edited by Philpott; 12-20-2015 at 11:18 AM.

And then, as I walked to my car, the sun came out. And I had set aside the day to sail. So DM and I struggled out of her upwind slip with the south wind shoving her sideways, and sailed around Alcatraz clockwise. Good wind all day. On the way home it started to drizzle. Then the fog settled in. Then it started to rain. The wind held. Time for the ski goggles. To give them credit, those wild and crazy sailing students from OCSC were out in force: five boats tacking, gybing, recovering little items from the water. Next Alcatraz Challenge will be determined by Tom Cavers, whose idea it was and who was out of town this weekend.

Bob Johnston, numbers man that he is, has agreed to figure out corrected times for this event. DM's elapsed time today was 2:15:21. Reefed. Course = 11.3 nm
    Last edited by Philpott; 12-20-2015 at 05:18 PM.

DURA MATER has seriously upped the ante. That's a corrected time of 2:08:14 using the TOT formula in our SSI's.

With the southerly it was probably a reach out and a reach back, with a nice push from the ebb on the stronger side (since she went clockwise).

That will be hard to beat.

I got there a little before 11, could not find the BYC buoy, so I just started from near the Berkeley Breakwater. The depth sounder was showing less than the draft, and I cannot remember which, if any is the deeper entrance channel. I will try to calibrate the depth sounder. I started 10:54:17, finished 12:35:40, same as Jackie, clockwise,reefed jib and main. ET 1:41:23 I didn't really do the race, though, since I never found the BYC buoy. Will put the coordinates in GPS next time. It was raining much harder for the sail back to Alameda, upwind, and I was cold and wet, so I used the motor a lot to get back.

Name:  Take Alcatraz.JPG
Views: 728
Size:  121.9 KB
    Last edited by todd22123; 12-20-2015 at 09:31 PM. Reason: add GPS image