Thread: Copain 1020 sailboat - Jean Pierre Bourns design - any knowledge on such a boat ?

Default Copain 1020 sailboat - Jean Pierre Bourns design - any knowledge on such a boat ?

Hi,

Anyone on the forum familiar with this boat ? It is designed by Jean Pierre Bourns, noted N.A. He has done a lot world cruisers it appears. Wondering if anyone has any info. on the Copain 10.20, and yes I have searched the web and located one distant photo.

pogen is offline Sailing canoe "Kūʻaupaʻa"

I did a search on "copain 1020 bateau" and got some French language hits, are you buying this one?

http://bateau-france.blogspot.com/20...-cp-epoxy.html

In about three years the new Figaro III will be out, and then we can afford to buy all Figaro IIs that will be dumped on the market.

Quote Originally Posted by pogen View Post
    I did a search on "copain 1020 bateau" and got some French language hits, are you buying this one?

http://bateau-france.blogspot.com/20...-cp-epoxy.html

In about three years the new Figaro III will be out, and then we can afford to buy all Figaro IIs that will be dumped on the market.
    Yes, and the Figaro II is a dream in rudder load and handling at all points of sail. We should plan on a volume delivery from the Caribbean.

Thanks for the info. That is picture 2 I have seen. My interest has to do with a customer who has this boat, not a purchase on my part. However, those dual keels would be a good solution for S Bay sailing.

Brian

Yes, sometimes their rudder loads get really light:

A Figaro II airing it out.

Then there's that pole thingy on the spinnaker. Meh.

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    Yes, sometimes their rudder loads get really light:

A Figaro II airing it out.

Then there's that pole thingy on the spinnaker. Meh.
    That pole thingy swings athwart ships, allowing one to capture moving air from 50 deg M as opposed to sailing 1.414 x the distance to accomplish the same thing while on path to Hawaii.

pogen is offline Sailing canoe "Kūʻaupaʻa"

I guess Planté is French for "Broach". Or maybe, "pitchpole".

Wow, setting the kite in 35 knots. I guess they were DH, so that makes it OK.

The Figaro fleet chose to keep the sym pole, I guess the flexibility of being able to go deep was worth the extra work load, risk, hassle.

Harrier carries a couple of those "thingies" (and a whisker pole which, when closed to its shortest length which equals my "J". gives me a third for emergencies)
    Like forming an "A Frame" athwartships from which to fly a jib on its side as a jury rig for downwind sailing in the event of a dismasting. Like most American boys, one can never have too many "thingies"if one is needed. All my spinnakers require them, so I would have them aboard anyway. And they break...!!!

I actually put the A2 on a pole for Pacific Cup - it worked pretty well. It's nice to not HAVE to do that to use the kite though. Then everything can be handled from the cockpit.

The latest A2's give up very little downwind angle (even without a pole). They just have a narrower steering "groove" than those elephant butt things you guys fly.

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    I actually put the A2 on a pole for Pacific Cup - it worked pretty well. It's nice to not HAVE to do that to use the kite though. Then everything can be handled from the cockpit.

The latest A2's give up very little downwind angle (even without a pole). They just have a narrower steering "groove" than those elephant butt things you guys fly.
    All the better to chase the little barbs all over with, as they are rarely aligned with Hawaii

Exactly!