Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2016 SHTP finish location...

Wink 2016 SHTP finish location...

Hello to all solo sailors!

I am preparing for my 2nd SHTP (2012) aboard a Mini Transat 650 again.

It's probably going to be a long shot...but I might as well throw it out there:
    The island of Kauai is a beauty. Finishing in Hanalei bay is magical. I agree. After a couple of weeks at sea, it is nice to finish there because it is a slow way back to the real and annoying civilization.

However, it feels to me that a lot of the racers or sailors are frustrated on the island. As you know, there is no or very little marine facilities, whether it is to get fuel for those who will have to motor/sail back to the mainland, or ways to get our boats out of the water and ready for shipping.

After finishing, I had to sail my boat to honolulu. This was by far the worse part of the race, beating to weather for 24 hours in gale..tearing the boat down and wasting time instead of enjoying it peacefully with my family who flew to the island. The boat suffered and it added costs as well....
    Last year, it seems that some were successful in packing their boat in Kauai and have Matson shipping company pick their boat directly on the island. The downside is the cost which is more expensive it seems....In addition, being in Los Angeles, I'd rather get my boat shipped back to San Diego. My understanding is Pasha shipping might not be able to arrange delivery of the trailer and pick up in Kauai.

Long story short, although finishing in Kauai is beautiful, it sorts of ruin the entire experience due to frustration of lack of marine support that we all need when finishing the race. It also adds costs and complexity to the logistics, whether we motor/sail or ship our boats back.

Is there a way that we could finish in the island of Oahu? Kanehoe YC might not work because of Pac Cup, but because the SHTP starts usually a couple of weeks ahead, we might not be too much of an inconvenience...I also have a lot of friends, sailors and members of Waikiki and Hawaii YC who could definitely inquire and arrange hospitality and great finishing for our solo fleet.

Again, it is not as "special" as finishing in Kauai, but the way I see it, I'd rather put my boat away and fly to another island for vacation, rather than struggle through the entire process and burn "vacation days" after a long solo journey. Stress isn't fun.

Well...that's enough wood for the fire...I am curious to read everyone's opinion

Cheers

Jerome Sammarcelli
    USA 577 "Biohazard"
    2006 Pierre Roland Mini Transat 650
    Los Angeles, CA
    jerome@sailutionsusa.com
    310-500-6216

No! That's my 2 cents....

Donald Trump is many more times more likely to be elected President! Two terms - or even a lifetime gig.

No! Heresy!!

Thank you all for the replies...

Don't hate the messenger ;-) I was just asking!!!

Jerome

Hi Jerome,
    I think the others accurately indicate the probability of changing the finish line. The major issue, shipping, was addressed in 2014 and to a lesser degree in 2012. Larry's Island Crane did the heavy lifting at some added costs. Kanehoe is definitely out. The Pac Cup entry number is based on room in Kanehoe Bay. They typically allow about 10% more entries than the YC allows at the finish line as a few boats don't get to the finish. There is no room left. In addition, Kanehoe YC charges a big fee to the Pacific Cup for use of facilities, something that would really push our entry fee up.
    Brian

Jerome
    Nothing personal at all about this. Hanalei Bay IS THE SHTP! When I first sailed in there from Bora Bora in 1978 I was taken by its beauty and compared it as equal to the magical island but better since it was American. I had for some time been enamored with the idea of doing the Ostar Plymouth to Plymouth singlehanded Atlantic Ocean race. But when I saw the first group of SHTP racers there in Hanalei Bay, I said "I'm going to do it here". And I did....It's been a great experience, including racing with you in 2012.
    Ken

Quote Originally Posted by P. Broderick - Elaine View Post
    Donald Trump is many more times more likely to be elected President! Two terms - or even a lifetime gig.
    a more apt metaphor might be a snowballs chance in Hanalei at high noon.

FWIW, my vote is No.
    It is certainly not my place to voice this, having not completed the race, but frankly for me history trumps logistics.
    This will be the 20th edition of the race, and now you want to change the course because its more convenient, making this edition an asterisk?

Further, I'm pretty certain the logistics argument doesn't hold a lot of water.
    Don't know about 2012, but 4 boats shipped direct from Kauai in 2014.
    Yes, it required a day sail around the corner to Līhuʻe, and a day of stripping the boats for Larry's crane pick.
    But no one left the island.
    In point of fact, a mini that Jerome built shipped successfully [admittedly, via Matson to OAK] the last edition from Kauai.
    Lastly, a 2 minute phone call to Matson confirmed that Kauai to Long Beach [admittedly not San Diego, but still south LA] is not a problem...

OK, I'm done.

DH

Apologies, did not mean to pile on...

I really did check with Matson though, and they can ship Kauai to LB

Best,
    DH

Thanks all for the replies! That's awesome. Can't wait to finish in Kauai again!