Thread: The Offshore Umbrella

Default The Offshore Umbrella

I got the idea from this forum: sun protection that goes up and down, costs peanuts, and comes in handy.

The "offshore umbrella." And it works. And you don't even have to tell anybody you have one.

No windage in a gale. No permanent structure. No interference with winches. No nothing, for $15 bucks and duct tape.

Actually, I am in favor of spending a little more. My drugstore model kept turning inside out, and the new one doesn't.

It is possible to be becalmed on the way to Kaua'i. It is pretty much guaranteed, coming back.

Without an umbrella, lad, you're rotisserie chicken.

Here's a three-minute video:

http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexc...3-minute-Video
    Last edited by Christian; 10-05-2015 at 08:21 AM.

pogen is offline Sailing canoe "Kūʻaupaʻa"

It's been done

Very nice Christian. The video explained it well. I think one might have to re file their PHRF cert. as this additional sail area could impact ones downwind rating.

So that is why the Farr 40 guys look at me like that! You're right, it is fear in their eyes, not mockery.

Quote Originally Posted by brianb View Post
    Very nice Christian. The video explained it well. I think one might have to re file their PHRF cert. as this additional sail area could impact ones downwind rating.
    Just a couple of weeks ago I successfully sailed my kayak downwind for a respectable distance using nothing but my Wife's old umbrella. The beer drinkers on the dock were impressed until a gust turned my umbrellaker inside out at which point the laughter could be clearly heard. Landlubbers have no idea the challenges we face when we go to sea.