Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2016 SHTP finish location...

Other than that, there are no strongly held opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome View Post
    Thank you all for the replies...

Don't hate the messenger ;-) I was just asking!!!

Jerome
    hahaha

Quote Originally Posted by DaveH View Post
    Apologies, did not mean to pile on...

I really did check with Matson though, and they can ship Kauai to LB

Best,
    DH
    Did you talk to someone at Matson that I can talk to?

thanks

JS

Hi Jerome -
    I believe her name was Betsy, but I don't think that's who will be handling the account.
    This was strictly a info-only inquiry to confirm that Nawiliwili to Long Beach could be done...

The number you really want is for what Matson labels as "conventional" group [no, I have no idea why its labeled that].
    the direct number is 888-362-8766; conventional@matson.com
    The person over there who handles the Pac Cup package deal is: Chris Cassel
    in the past, they have extended this to SHTP boats... essentially the "deal" amounts to shipping the empty trailers for free on the outbound trip and charging for the loaded trailer on the inbound trip.
    I haven't gone much farther than this, but that's what I know so far.

Best,
    DH

Quote Originally Posted by DaveH View Post
    Hi Jerome -
    I believe her name was Betsy, but I don't think that's who will be handling the account.
    This was strictly a info-only inquiry to confirm that Nawiliwili to Long Beach could be done...

The number you really want is for what Matson labels as "conventional" group [no, I have no idea why its labeled that].
    the direct number is 888-362-8766; conventional@matson.com
    The person over there who handles the Pac Cup package deal is: Chris Cassel
    in the past, they have extended this to SHTP boats... essentially the "deal" amounts to shipping the empty trailers for free on the outbound trip and charging for the loaded trailer on the inbound trip.
    I haven't gone much farther than this, but that's what I know so far.

Best,
    DH
    How is shipping typically managed? Did skippers worked directly with Matson or did someone take the lead to negotiate pricing for multiple boats and materials (crates and trailers) to be shipped ahead of time?

Thanks,

Dirk "TIJD" First 30JK

Dirk, At least for the PacCup skippers work directly with the designated Matson rep. He does the details. The deal is as listed: trailer shipping to Hawaii, charge for shipping boat on trailer home. Be aware that shipping involves a "cube" rather than weight. Trailer hitch to transom X width X height = cubic feet = cost. The mast is not counted in the "cube." You deliver the boat to Matson's docks/yards for loading. Matson didn't charge a parking fee for 3 days, but they might. Out of Oakland there's only 1 Matson ship set up for shipping vehicles, so be sure the schedule is clear. If you miss that ship, it's 3 weeks until it's back.

In 2010 for the PacCup, we had 2 days to get the boat from Kaneohe to Honolulu, mast out, on trailer, packed up, ready to roll. Otherwise we had storage costs before Matson's vehicle ship returned. We did all the unrigging, packing up, etc. we could because the yard charged for every little item: $100 for checking and filling the trailer tires for instance. By the way, it cost $400 to hire a trucking company to haul the trailer a mile from the boatyard to the Matson's location. They did 6 boats in one afternoon! There won't be a next time for me, but a meeting of boat owners and a rental pickup would be the way to go. Also, the yard charged an extra $100 just to use a forklift to hook the trailer onto the truck! Then they gave me a cap with their name on it and thanked me.

I have shipped back 3 times, although some years ago. Matson has become more conservative due to damage to boats that they ended up paying for, and in their view this was largely due to poor securing of the boat on the trailer. Make sure you follow their instructions to the letter. Be sure your mast is mounted below the height restriction otherwise your cost will sky rocket. Make sure the trailer tires are in good shape. This is a common failure point. I would highly suggest you remove your rudder as this is also a common point of damage in handling (my new carbon blade was split open at the bottom for 10 inches because the forklift towing the trailer raised the tongue so high that the blade hit the ground).

When communicating with Matson always imply you are with the Pac Cup, then no questions arise. We normally are included with them as was indicated above. Your costs will nearly double if you try to ship without being a member of the group.

Quote Originally Posted by brianb View Post
    I have shipped back 3 times, although some years ago. Matson has become more conservative due to damage to boats that they ended up paying for, and in their view this was largely due to poor securing of the boat on the trailer. Make sure you follow their instructions to the letter. Be sure your mast is mounted below the height restriction otherwise your cost will sky rocket. Make sure the trailer tires are in good shape. This is a common failure point. I would highly suggest you remove your rudder as this is also a common point of damage in handling (my new carbon blade was split open at the bottom for 10 inches because the forklift towing the trailer raised the tongue so high that the blade hit the ground).

When communicating with Matson always imply you are with the Pac Cup, then no questions arise. We normally are included with them as was indicated above. Your costs will nearly double if you try to ship without being a member of the group.
    Seems a lot of effort while "enjoying" downtime in Hawaii after the race.
    I hope I have enough time to sail back....

Dirk "TIJD" First 30 JK

I enjoyed Hanaleii Bay immensely! Loved swimming out to my boat, diving the anchor and just watching her from the Tree. Sure, a close lift/hoist would be nice, but then it wouldn't be Hanaleii.

Where else can Brian experience swimming with sharks, again!

JB

Quote Originally Posted by brianb View Post
    Pacific Cup is partnering with Pasha for shipping next year:
    Link to details.