Thread: Nightmare's Saga

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Nightmare's Saga

Thursday I took Nightmare to KKMI for bottom paint, check rudder bushings, and change a thru-hull.

I knew a fire had started in Amador county off Butte Mountain road.
    On the way home that night, coming into Angels Camp, I could see the flames on the ridge tops as the fire grew exponentially from 4000 to 14,000 acres.
    Friday evacuation orders were issued throughout Amador and Calaveras counties. Roads were packed, stores closed, and gas stations a flashback of the seventies.
    My wife was very frightened so we drove to a lookout where we could see how close the fire really was. This helped.

We are currently at home and have and advisory evacuation is issued.
    Advisory means you don't have to leave yet, but be prepared. We are.!
    Our home is between the towns of Arnold and Avery on the map and we are on the southeast side of Highway 4.
    The fire is northwest about 5 miles away. Dozers and fire crew are massively widening the fire break outside our community.
    Fortunately the rate of spread has slowed with the cooler temperature and light wind, although the inversion causes the smoke to lay in and prevent the use of aircraft.
    There are many news and websites with dramatic photos of the incident

http://calaverasgov.us/
    Has links to local news and info regarding the incident.

Local News Update at 8:20am: CAL Fire reports that most of the fire growth overnight was to the north and east. As reported earlier, the fire is 65,215 acres and 20% contained. This morning there are now 4,163 firefighters assigned, 474 engines, 79 total fire crews, 17 helicopters, 102 dozers and 55 large water tenders. The main challenges are the historically dry conditions, steep terrain and limited firefighting access.

Meanwhile Nightmare is on the hard at KKMI getting bottom paint.
    I repaired some blisters and gelcoat. There was a crack in the gel at the keel to stub I asked the yard to look into and they reported all is well.
    I hope to get back there Tuesday to finish replacing a thru-hull and back in the water by Wednesday.
    Hopefully I will have enough time to polish the topsides while she is on the stands.
    Looking foreword to Half Moon Bay !!
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it is vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they act their dream with open eyes, to make it possible.

T.E. Lawrence

Stay safe up there.
    DH

Thanks for the update. Been watching the news from New England this week and hoping they can contain the fires without any further damage to homes or more injuries or deaths. Best to you both!!

If you're on Faceplant, here's a page with on-the-ground details about the fire near Greg's home:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1630657927189946/

It appears mandatory evacuation orders have been lifted so things may be looking up, but the posts reveal many personal tragedies associated with this fire.

and on a more trivial note Daydreamer, I think you'll find your quote should be attributed to TS Elliot. Not Lawrence but what do I know?

pogen is offline Sailing canoe "Kūʻaupaʻa"

Quote Originally Posted by peter00 View Post
    and on a more trivial note Daydreamer, I think you'll find your quote should be attributed to TS Elliot. Not Lawrence but what do I know?
    Uh, I don't think so: https://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/T._E._Lawrence

I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each.
    I do not think that they will sing to me.