Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: Nightmare's Saga

A follow up to previous posts regarding the Jetboil cook system.

My burner is 12 years old and finally started having problems during the return from Hanalei Bay.
    Difficult to light, inconsistent flame, longer boil times.
    The perforated metal diffuser had burned away.

I contacted Jetboil to see if they had parts available. Unfortunately no.

Researching a replacement I discovered they offer a couple versions of the original, plus and array of camp stoves.
    The basic original style Jetboil is available in a "boil only" version called the "Flash", and the flame is not adjustable.
    The "Micromo, Minimo, & Sumo" versions have a burner that can be controlled to simmer.

I'll most likely replace my original cook system with the Sumo unit that has a larger cup and is interchangeable with my original cup.

I have no affiliation, just a fan sharing information.

Quote Originally Posted by Daydreamer View Post
    ... basic original style Jetboil is available in a "boil only" version called the "Flash", and the flame is not adjustable.
    Thanks Greg, that would explain my own experience. I shoulda RTFM. I was gifted the "Java Flash" years ago, which lives on the boat for French pressing and add-hot-water oatmeals etc. Like it so much I bought a 2nd for camping. On that one, the little ceramic insulating bit around the sparker (or whatever that little wire is called) broke in such way that I have to make sure to adjust the sparker perfectly or it won't start. Still works fine once started, but I was disappointed in the breakage after only a few uses. Won't stop me from also considering upgrading to a simmerable Jetboil and adding "make a gimbal" to the projects list, though!

- fellow fan.

Thank you thank you thank you!!

To all who've helped me out along the way with info, deals, time and effort.
    The SSS and SHTP committees, family and friends.

Especially my wife, who quietly supported me even though she shook her head and rolled her eyes when she thought I wasn't looking.

I feel so very blessed in so many ways.
    All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it is vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they act their dream with open eyes, to make it possible.

T.E. Lawrence

Here is a screen shot of my track to Hanalei Bay

Name:  Screen Shot 2018-09-19 at 11.06.15 AM.png
Views: 916
Size:  171.9 KB

And another of the return trip.

Name:  Screen Shot 2018-09-19 at 11.09.44 AM.png
Views: 753
Size:  168.1 KB
    All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it is vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they act their dream with open eyes, to make it possible.

T.E. Lawrence

During SHTP and return I would occasionally sleep through and alarm, it's sound blending in with all the others in my dreams.

My wife found this the other day.
    I thought it would be a sure fire way to make sure you don't sleep through your alarm.

Name:  Image-1.jpg
Views: 825
Size:  312.0 KB

My chapter of Nightmares Saga has ended.
    She has a new steward who intends to compete in the 2020 SHTP.
    He is welcome to continue this thread so we can keep up with his and Nightmares on going adventures.

Don't worry, I'll be around.
    I'm sure I can find something to help with on the race deck or SHTP committee.
    I'll also be available for crew and deliveries.

T.E. Lawrence

Aww, Greg, it just won't be the same Nightmares Saga without you, but we'll give a warm welcome to the new skipper. Do you mean to be mysterious about their identiity? Do we know the person?

Hey there! I'm the new owner of Nightmare-- just got her a few days ago! In the sale I received the panel and the steel frame, but not the other components-- I'd love to discuss the setup in more detail with you sometime. Moreover, let me know if you're ever in the Bay and want to go for a sail. I love this thread by the way-- so great to be able to see the method behind these things! Thank you!

Congratulations SoulSailor!

I'll be happy to share anything I can.
    Though I'm sure there have been some changes since I owned her.

It would be fun to go for a sail with you! Any time.
    You can email me, gca at goldrush dot com
    When I saw she was available again I was a little disappointed that I had another boat already.
    Many great memories!

What are your goals/plans for Nightmare?

Best,
    Greg