Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Steering Options

Quote Originally Posted by Lanikai View Post
    Jackie,
    Would you advise against the TP10 for a 2-27? I had one years ago on a Tartan 27 (~7400 lbs) and it worked well for the cruising I was doing, but I do remember it "going all liberal" on me a couple times. It would fix itself at some point, probably after cursing and hitting it in frustration.
    Did the TP10 serve well for at least a season or two, and was it reliable enough for trips to the bow to gybe the spin pole (in light air)? That's all I need for now.
    -Adam
    Hi, Adam, I had to get a 5" extension in order for the TP10 (Mary Madeleine) to have the reach for my tiller. Dura Mater is 9' across. It seemed flimsy from the get-go. Someone told me that a TP22 would have been stronger, but it would have required the same 5" extension, so I am doubtful. I've had it two years and it worked fine upwind in even the strongest wind on the bay, but it didn't work downwind at all. I could use it coming back to Berkeley from the cityfront in 20 knots, but only on a broad reach (hello, Richmond!). And it struggled doing so, shaking and complaining the whole way. Trips to the bow in light air? Sure. It worked fine coming back from Drakes Bay in 6 knots. Even so, I was hyperventilating, waiting for it to change its mind. Like Aunt Madeleine. I will keep it as a backup; and I might even speak sternly to it if I need to use it as a backup. It is named after my maternal aunt, however, so I won't try physical abuse. Why don't you come out with me once my Pelagic has been fine-tuned? We can make a video for Brian's site while we evaluate it.
    Last edited by Philpott; 10-16-2015 at 11:01 AM.

Jackie, did you ever get the Navik wind vane going on your 2-27? I thought you bought one

Quote Originally Posted by ronnie simpson View Post
    Jackie, did you ever get the Navik wind vane going on your 2-27? I thought you bought one
    Hi, Ronnie
    My Navik rests in a corner of my dining room. Chris at Svendsens metal works fabricated beautiful, strong stainless brackets for me ($230). I just got some itty bitty blocks for the stern rail, and I have two teeny cam cleats for the tiller. I'm waiting to put those on a new tiller that has yet to be ordered. I've been told that even a small crack in a tiller is not a good thing. And Oh yes, I've waited to order a new tiller until I was confident it would be the right fit for Brian's Pelagic. Video of Dura Mater under Pelagic to follow.