Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steering Options

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Steering Options

Uh Oh! Somewhere between Santa Cruz and Half Moon Bay my Simrad TP10 decided to go all liberal on me. I tried to set it but it will only go to port. Synthia said she got a gyro autopilot for Eyrie years ago and her sailing life is better for it. I don't even know what a gyro is. Isn't it a type of Middle Eastern sandwich made with pita bread? What are my options for Dura Mater?

pogen is offline Sailing canoe "Kūʻaupaʻa"

Pelagic has great bang for buck, low power consumption, steers good too.

Quote Originally Posted by pogen View Post
    Excellent, David! Thank you! Where do I buy this product? Does the company take credit cards? Because I don't really want another Simrad - the arm just seems so flimsy. Until I reach this Pelagic company it's surgical tubing for me.

Default Pelagic Autopilot

http://pelagicautopilot.com/products/gyro-controller/

Looks like not quite released yet. I have a new (never used) Raymarine X-5 controller (2 actually - NOT the new model) and a grand prix and standard ram available if you're interested. Give me a call or send an email (I don't check here often). John A McDonald @ Gmail.com (omit the spaces I added to fool the spam bots).
    Last edited by JAMcDonald; 09-27-2015 at 02:58 PM. Reason: Additional content

Is this Bryan's system commercialized? Looks like good gear for the $. FWIW, the Raymarine pilot uses untinned
    lamp cord to connect the drive to the controller as I learned to my chagrin when changing the connector.

Quote Originally Posted by JAMcDonald View Post
    Is this Bryan's system commercialized?
    It is commercialized in the sense that if you pay him money he will give you an AP system. I know he takes checks, not sure if he is set up for credit cards yet.

I think he needs to put pricing and order info on his website, I'm sure that will come shortly.

By the way, I will not be surprised if half the 2016 SHTP fleet is not equipped with Pelagics, at least as backup.

It is commercialized in the sense that if you pay him money he will give you an AP system. I know he takes checks, not sure if he is set up for credit cards yet.
    I'm pretty sure Pelagic can do business via paypal.

Yes. Go Pelagic or go home.

Quote Originally Posted by Philpott View Post
    Uh Oh! Somewhere between Santa Cruz and Half Moon Bay my Simrad TP10 decided to go all liberal on me. I tried to set it but it will only go to port. ..... What are my options for Dura Mater?
    Jackie,
    Would you advise against the TP10 for a 2-27? I had one years ago on a Tartan 27 (~7400 lbs) and it worked well for the cruising I was doing, but I do remember it "going all liberal" on me a couple times. It would fix itself at some point, probably after cursing and hitting it in frustration.
    Did the TP10 serve well for at least a season or two, and was it reliable enough for trips to the bow to gybe the spin pole (in light air)? That's all I need for now.
    -Adam