Thread: Tapered spin sheets for both light and heavy air?

Default Tapered spin sheets for both light and heavy air?

Hi,

I need to get new sheets for my Olson 25 symmetric spinnaker and was curious if anyone was using tapered sheets for both light and heavy air? I asked at Annapolis Performance sailing and the guys I spoke to did NOT have experience with tapered lines in heavy air. However, they thought the premium lines would work (instead of ultra-lite or flight line they suggested either FSE Coppa 3000 or Superswift; both which are about 1.5-2x more expensive.)

Appreciate any insight/experience you might have. Thanks!

Tom (Rock On)

Hi Tom,

I've been using Flight Line for my spinnaker sheets for 3-4 years, including last year's Pacific Cup - the same sheets for both light and heavy air. They are 3/8" (9.5mm), 70' long each with about 12' stripped at the sail end (i.e. tapered). I tie them to the clew ring with bowlines.

I really like Flight Line. It doesn't hockle, it's easy to hold onto for long periods (especially in 3/8") and it seems to run well on the winches. APS doesn't have the 3/8" listed but if you're wanting to buy them today (because of their sale) I would think 5/16" would be fine for your boat. Also, Defender has Samson's equivalent (UltraLite) and their boat show sale runs through the 18th:

http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?...8779&id=829463
    Last edited by BobJ; 10-12-2015 at 02:53 PM.

Thanks Bob - that's great to know! I'll go with flight line or equivalent.

FWIW - Annapolis agreed to give me the discount even if I come back to them this week with a change to the order.

Good luck in the Vallejo race - wish I could, but my quota of two day sailing adventures is up this year.