Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Shorthanded Midwinters 2015/2016

Default Shorthanded Midwinters 2015/2016

I'm wondering if there is any single/short handed racing this winter. I don't see anything along these lines on the BYC Chowder site, so I guess all the fun you guys had last year is not available this year?
    A-ha, it's the BYC Midwinters that has short-handed races, not the Chowder. I assume a few more SSS boats will accompany Nancy on the roster before the first race...hopefully even mine.
    But I haven't done the PHRF thing yet. I assume I pony up $100 to certify my Cal 2-27 for the rest of the year and do it again in January? And if, mid-series, I find a proper big ol' winter jenny to replace my little 95% summer jib, I'll have to get a new certificate & rating, or amend the existing one, or? How's this stuff work?
    -Adam

Thanks for the news! I had been looking for the NOR. I'm in.

Do the PHRF thing. You'll be glad you did You could also ask them about extending it through to 2016 since it'll be November before you have it in hand.

Funny - I lost my BYC Midwinter hat just yesterday while looking up at the Blue Angels, and I just delivered ELISE's hats from last year's series (Nathalie, they're in John's office at RYC). I plan to do the series again - let's work on getting a group together like last year.

Adam, YRA starts issuing 2016 certs on 12/15. I'll bet if you asked nice, you could get the R/C to accept a provisional rating for the first race or two - everybody knows what a Cal 2-27 rates. The standard rating assumes a 155% LP genoa. If you rate it with a 125% LP or less you get a 3 sec/mile credit. But if you have the bigger genoa I'd get rated with it - it will help in the lighter winds. I tried to get Jackie to use a genoa but she said it would make DURA MATER look fat or some such. I'm hoping she'll reconsider - I still have the sail for her.

In related news, who's in for Jackie's drunkin' brawl at Sequoia YC at the end of this month? I see TSFKA Windward Wanderer is signed up for the Great Pumpkin instead. What's up w/that?

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    ...In related news, who's in for Jackie's drunkin' brawl at Sequoia YC at the end of this month? I see TSFKA Windward Wanderer is signed up for the Great Pumpkin instead. What's up w/that?
    OMG, so glad you mentioned that the drunken cruise out brawl is at Sequoia YC and not Coyote Point, which is what I put in my calendar. The GPR is the 23rd. The cruise out is the following weekend, which does happen to conflict with the HMBYC Pumpkin Roundup that I have promised to skipper with my friend, Sarah. We won top honors as cows last year so we have to defend our title. Something about luau skirts and coconut bras this year....so thusly, I'm doing the cruise in by land yacht and Jackie has graciously offered a berth on Dura Mater. All things covered! Hmmm, yeah, sorta.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Gamayun; 10-12-2015 at 10:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    Before the last upgrade you had to post the pic and then delete it for it to show up (go figure). The last time I tried, a .jpg wouldn't upload at all.

Yep, upload it, post, then edit your post and delete it. Then it shows up. I love computers. This was the cow costume, right?
    O'fer cryin' out loud.

pogen is offline Sailing canoe "Kūʻaupaʻa"

I created a new thread for the new winter season, and locked the old thread. Carry on.

Also, I know the picture posting is screwed up and I am working on it.

D.

Just checked the BYC website and the 2015-2016 Mid-winter Series NOR and registration is open.

http://www.berkeleyyc.org/race/berke...ters-2015-2016

If we get a dedicated singlehanded division I will enter that.
    If we are grouped single/double handed like last year I will sign up and excercise the option to bring a guest/crew when the opportunity arises.

I had a great time with Daydreamer last season, she wasn't fast but she always received lots of compliments.
    Nightmare will be fun too and is looking better all the time.
    All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it is vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they act their dream with open eyes, to make it possible.

T.E. Lawrence

Quote Originally Posted by Gamayun View Post
    OMG, so glad you mentioned that the drunken cruise out brawl is at Sequoia YC and not Coyote Point, which is what I put in my calendar. The GPR is the 23rd. The cruise out is the following weekend, which does happen to conflict with the HMBYC Pumpkin Roundup that I have promised to skipper with my friend, Sarah. We won top honors as cows last year so we have to defend our title. Something about luau skirts and coconut bras this year....so thusly, I'm doing the cruise in by land yacht and Jackie has graciously offered a berth on Dura Mater. All things covered! Hmmm, yeah, sorta.
    Luau skirts? Coconut bras? Sarah is welcome to join us on DM, with or with out the outfit, but forewarn her of the skimpier accommodations compared to Kynntana's more spacious berthing arrangements.

Dura Mater is in, with hopes that Bob can persuade Berkeley Yacht Club to have a single handed division. DM with a new Pelagic tiller pilot? Very exciting possibilities without all that zigging and zagging!

You know Bobbi, Bob G, et al better than I do. And you have those lemon things.