Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: Shorthanded Midwinters 2015/2016

The two 2-27's have been out practicing for the next Midwinter race:

Attachment 1179

That is the best thing i've ever seen Bob J, I want to try that sometime. Sharing is caring.

Well, today's race is cancelled due to gale warning. Bummer.

Time to chase leaks and finish those Christmas cards.

Bummer

No kidding. With the races a whole month apart I'm raring to go when race day comes.

Oh well, we could be living on the East Coast with our boats stuck in a shed until May.

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    No kidding. With the races a whole month apart I'm raring to go when race day comes.
    This is so disappointing. Dura Mater has a new (to her) jib sheet AND a freshly painted bottom. I propose that we re-visit the Singlehanded Alcatraz Challenge. It has been almost five months since that historic race, and Tom Cavers' beautiful trophy photograph has been in a place of honor on my politically incorrect fireplace mantle long enough.

Let's race again next weekend! from the Berkeley Yacht Club buoy around Alcatraz and back. Wrest it from DM if you are able! All singlehanders invited. Saturday/December 19/Max ebb 3.1 ebb @10am or Sunday/December 20/max ebb 3.8 @ 11 am.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Berkeley Midwinters tomorrow and there are 25 - count 'em - twenty five singlehanders registered! That's not even counting the singlehanders who are doublehanding tomorrow. It's gonna be cold. It might be wet. There might be wind. There might not be any wind at all. But sure as shootin' there are gonna be singlehanders on the Olympic Circle tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Philpott View Post
    Berkeley Midwinters tomorrow and there are 25 - count 'em - twenty five singlehanders registered! That's not even counting the singlehanders who are doublehanding tomorrow. It's gonna be cold. It might be wet. There might be wind. There might not be any wind at all. But sure as shootin' there are gonna be singlehanders on the Olympic Circle tomorrow.
    Sure is warm in my cabin right now. And no wind likely tomorrow. Hmmm. Mebe....mebe not.

No big girl pants for you!

I don't take good boat pictures. I talked to Christine (STINK EYE) about it on the dock this afternoon. Christine takes great boat pictures - she's a pro. She gave me the pro's secret and here it is - are you ready? "Only take pictures of the boats CLOSE to you."

I didn't do that today but here's what I have:
    Attachment 1257Attachment 1258Attachment 1259Attachment 1260Attachment 1261

There was pretty good breeze early - I even had a reef in the main. Dirk sailed by and asked what the deal was with the reef. That made me self-conscious so I shook it out. What Dirk didn't know was I had the big #2 (145%) rolled up on the furler. This would prove helpful later.

The R/C's mark boat came up AWOL so we were postponed while they and MOTORCYCLE IRENE (thanks Will!) got the marks set. By then the breeze was dropping off a bit. Everybody got the same eight-mile windward-leeward course and as the breeze continued to decrease, the later divisions suffered towards the end. But I have to say, it was GREAT being out there racing today. It was pretty nice and most boats got back to their slips before the sprinkles started.

Aboard RAGTIME! things went pretty well. I got a decent start and had a good first leg. After rounding the windward mark I set the spinnaker. But it was wonky. It looked okay but it just wasn't pulling the boat along as normal - we were slow. I wouldn't figure out why until the second time around - I'd forgotten to extend the sprit! Not racing for two months will do that to you. The second run went much better although the breeze was less.

Most singlehanders set kites so it was good practice for everyone.

Well anyway, a great day racing with my buds - thanks for coming out!

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    There was pretty good breeze early - I even had a reef in the main. Dirk sailed by and asked what the deal was with the reef. That made me self-conscious so I shook it out. What Dirk didn't know was I had the big #2 (145%) rolled up on the furler. This would prove helpful later.

The R/C's mark boat came up AWOL so we were postponed while they and MOTORCYCLE IRENE (thanks Will!) got the marks set. By then the breeze was dropping off a bit. Everybody got the same eight-mile windward-leeward course and as the breeze continued to decrease, the later divisions suffered towards the end. But I have to say, it was GREAT being out there racing today. It was pretty nice and most boats got back to their slips before the sprinkles started.

Aboard RAGTIME! things went pretty well. I got a decent start and had a good first leg. After rounding the windward mark I set the spinnaker. But it was wonky. It looked okay but it just wasn't pulling the boat along as normal - we were slow. I wouldn't figure out why until the second time around - I'd forgotten to extend the sprit! Not racing for two months will do that to you. The second run went much better although the breeze was less.

Most singlehanders set kites so it was good practice for everyone.

Well anyway, a great day racing with my buds - thanks for coming out!
    Bob, you were well out in front and going really well! It's a great event to get going on racing and boat handling. My boat felt much slower as usual (compared to other boats). I hope mostly because of a very dirty bottom and mistakes made by me. First mark I got in trouble with another boat and had to bail and go around. Spinnaker run was not bad. Great to be out there and I'm looking forward to the 3BF.

Dirk "TIJD" - First 30JK