Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: Shorthanded Midwinters 2015/2016

I'll get in trouble for this but it's worth it.

We're drifting around during the postponement and Jackie asks if we'd like some music. (Sure!) So she puts on some Bob Dylan and cranks it. With Greg (NIGHTMARE) in earshot, I holler over that I still have Jackie's little black dress in my car. Greg says "That doesn't sound right." I quickly correct my comment to "Dura Mater's little black dress" and Jackie attempts to explain. Then it all got kinda quiet.

Yeah, yeah, so you say. What happens on the water, stays on the water

Right, Jackie?

Quote Originally Posted by Gamayun View Post
    Yeah, yeah, so you say. What happens on the water, stays on the water

Right, Jackie?
    Bob has offered me a black mylar jib for Dura Mater. Hence the "little black dress". He thinks I want to go faster. Ragtime! has so much bling he thinks DM needs some, too. I prefer shabby chic for my boat, + I don't want to have to take it down and roll it up every time. Greg did turn around and raise his eyebrows. I explained.

Quote Originally Posted by Philpott View Post
    Bob has offered me a black mylar jib for Dura Mater. Hence the "little black dress". He thinks I want to go faster. Ragtime! has so much bling he thinks DM needs some, too. I prefer shabby chic for my boat, + I don't want to have to take it down and roll it up every time. Greg did turn around and raise his eyebrows. I explained.

What???

First, that is a nice looking sail you've been offered, Jacki.

Second, you keep Dura Mater in the water so you are already far, far short on post race/sail chores. Half the fun is grinding through rolling up 3, 4 or 5 sails, repacking a couple of kites, coiling up several thousand yards of spaghetti and then hoisting the boat onto the trailer. Really, you should try it sometime. It truly adds to the experience.

And finally, if you are stuck with just one available headsail on a furler, what do you do during the race with no sail changes to contemplate, get wrong, undo, then redo, then undo again? Even the Melges 24 crowd gets to wind up and unwind the shrouds to change gears.

I bet you just sit there eating cookies and listening to music.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnS View Post
    What???

First, that is a nice looking sail you've been offered, Jacki.

Second, you keep Dura Mater in the water so you are already far, far short on post race/sail chores. Half the fun is grinding through rolling up 3, 4 or 5 sails, repacking a couple of kites, coiling up several thousand yards of spaghetti and then hoisting the boat onto the trailer. Really, you should try it sometime. It truly adds to the experience.

And finally, if you are stuck with just one available headsail on a furler, what do you do during the race with no sail changes to contemplate, get wrong, undo, then redo, then undo again? Even the Melges 24 crowd gets to wind up and unwind the shrouds to change gears.

I bet you just sit there eating cookies and listening to music.
    Is this John Shannon? For a season I crewed on Dire Straits over in Alameda. At the end of the day I did assist in getting it up and out of the water, onto the trailer and back into its parking space. All that after rolling up the sails and coiling the lines. Even with four other women helping, it took awhile. And did I mention there were other people? Very nice people, but still.

With no winch covers or bench cushions or hanks for the jib, in her upwind slip, I can rig DM, raise her sail and be out of the slip in 15 minutes. No bling can compensate for that. Those boats with crews look happy. Sweaty but happy. Like bees in a hive from afar. And yes, cookies are good. :-)

Hey, Henry (S/V Grace) I have your second place award from the Berkeley Yacht Club. If you plan to come into the Corinthian after the race I will have it on DM (500 euro duty/free!). If not, let me know how I can get it to you. Tom Boussie, I have your third place award. I can also throw your awards from boat to boat to you both before the start of the Corinthian.

Hey, Henry (S/V Grace) I have your second place award from the Berkeley Yacht Club. If you plan to come into the Corinthian after the race I will have it on DM (500 euro duty/free!). If not, let me know how I can get it to you. Tom Boussie, I have your third place award. I can also throw your awards from boat to boat to you both before the start of the Corinthian.
    Jackie,
    That sounds like a good reason to stop by at Corinthian:-)and even 500 Euro is bargain.
    Thanks a lot

Default Berkeley Midwinters

Jackie,

Sadly, I will be out of town on the 19th and will miss the Corinthian race. Please keep my 3rd place Berkeley Midwinters award on your boat and we will arrange a mid-ocean transfer some time in the future. God knows my sailing trophy case has plenty of available room.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by tboussie View Post
    Jackie,

Sadly, I will be out of town on the 19th and will miss the Corinthian race. Please keep my 3rd place Berkeley Midwinters award on your boat and we will arrange a mid-ocean transfer some time in the future. God knows my sailing trophy case has plenty of available room.

Tom
    "mid-ocean transfer". Now that sounds like an adventure. I'm looking forward to it.