Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Power Management Seminar

Default Power Management Seminar

I am giving some serious thought to making reservations and flying in to attend the power management seminar on November 12th. Is this a typically a well-attended seminar. I would enjoy meeting some of the other current and past competitors in the race. I would fly out the next day.
    I do not know the area. Any hotels convenient to the Oakland Yacht Club?
    Jim Bates
    Last edited by BobJ; 11-04-2015 at 03:59 PM. Reason: Change Thread Title

pogen is offline Sailing canoe "Kūʻaupaʻa"

The Marina Villiage Inn (http://marinavillageinn.com/) is just across the parking lot from OYC and is cheap but decent.

Fly in to Oakland Airport if possible, OAK, as it is much closer than the alternatives.

Pogen,
    I have reservations to fly in at about noon on November 12th, and leave the next afternoon, and a reservation at the Marina Village Inn, per your suggestion. Is the airport close enough that I can just take a cab, or should I rent a car. Thank you for your help, and I will look forward to meeting you and the other folks who are there.
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by jimb522 View Post
    Pogen,
    I have reservations to fly in at about noon on November 12th, and leave the next afternoon, and a reservation at the Marina Village Inn, per your suggestion. Is the airport close enough that I can just take a cab, or should I rent a car. Thank you for your help, and I will look forward to meeting you and the other folks who are there.
    Jim
    When I fly out of OAK I get there from Marina Village (next door to the Oakland Yacht Club) via Uber. Costs ~$25 one way for the 10-15 min drive. I'd expect a Taxi charge to be about the same. Only reason to rent a car is if you want to sight-see.

thank you for the information. I was hoping it would be close.
    Jim

Jackie and Brian have asked me to present the Power Management seminar in a few days. As I prepare I'm reminded this is a large and detailed topic. To get a run at it, here are links to some pages and resources. This is your "homework" of sorts:

Brian and Max's excellent slides from last time.

A bunch of electrical budgets from the 2008 SHTP, including mine.

Mike Jefferson's treatise from 2001/2002.

My initial post on the subject.

Power Management has historically given SHTP skippers the most trouble on the passage. This seminar also forms a "base" for other seminar topics such as Autopilots or Communications. I hope many of you can attend.
    Last edited by BobJ; 11-04-2015 at 04:49 PM.

BobJ,
    Unless the plane takes a detour over Egypt, I will be there and already have reservations.
    Looking forward to seeing in person what kinds of people do this stuff.
    And seeing what a "buglighter" looks like too.
    Jim

I hope many past and aspiring Buglighters will be in attendance. Since this is the first seminar of the series, we'll want to make introductions, get a race status update and stuff like that.

To follow up my previous post, if you want a "live" editable Excel spreadsheet for your electrical budget, send me an e-mail and I'll forward mine. This board apparently doesn't allow .XLS attachments. BobsailsSF at the Yahoo place.

Quote Originally Posted by jimb522 View Post
    BobJ,
    Unless the plane takes a detour over Egypt, I will be there and already have reservations.
    Looking forward to seeing in person what kinds of people do this stuff.
    And seeing what a "buglighter" looks like too.
    Jim
    Hey Jim,

Looking forward to meeting you. That is a long way to travel, and nice to hear you are going to make the trip.

Brian

`````Brian,
    I am looking forward to it and meeting a bunch of folks. I dont love commercial flights in cattlecars, but it will be worth it on a couple of fronts. I will get a few hours on the next day to see my only grandchild, who lives in that area and was born in July. I have only seen pictures of her. Plus I expect I will get to meet other folks who have done this race and are doing it again, and maybe find out what boatyard is a good one to commission a boat coming off a trailer, and what marina to stick it in. Then back here. Basically 11-12 hours of flying in 36 hours.
    I am in the middle of designing and installing a complete new electrical system in the tri and expect that while I basically understand what I need to do, I am sure I will pick up some knowledge that I didnt have before. I have actually given some thought to leaving a boat in the Bay area for competing in the SSS series of races. I would have to figure out if I could afford it. I dont know if the trimaran would be a good boat for that. There are a lot more boats racing out there, then there are here, and multihulls are not nearly as common here, so it would certainly be fun. My wife would certainly enjoy a few long weekends to see our daughter and grandchild.
    jim