Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Does the Delorme InReach Explorer satisfy the Comm reqs for Transpac?

Default Does the Delorme InReach Explorer satisfy the Comm reqs for Transpac?

I found some discussion but not a final answer in another forum - I do apologize if it has been asked/answered already.

Does the Delorme InReach Explorer satisfy the comm reqs - I personally think it does and would love to use it instead of renting a satphone.

Jiri

pogen is offline Sailing canoe "Kūʻaupaʻa"

The Delorme is being considered for use at the tracker device, either by rental from the Race Committee, or by using one's own, but this has not been finalized. Hopefully this will be done in a few weeks.

A satphone is nice to have to get weather info if nothing else.

I expect the final RRCs should have some requirement that in addition to the tracker and VHF, some means of obtaining offshore weather info be provided, either SSB, SSB receive-only, or satphone. This has been the case in the past.

An SSB receive only radio can be very cheap, like $100 new.

Thank you for the updated.

I completely agree that the SSB receive should be required if going the delorme route - I for one am getting both for xmas

Looking forward to hearing the final word.

I'm unaware that there was ever a requirement to be able to receive weather data while at sea. Can you point me to the rule that required this?

Quote Originally Posted by pogen View Post
    I expect the final RRCs should have some requirement that in addition to the tracker and VHF, some means of obtaining offshore weather info be provided, either SSB, SSB receive-only, or satphone. This has been the case in the past.
    - rob/beetle

I'm with you Beetle. Can't imagine anyone going to sea without some means, tho. I went to French Polynesia and back thru HI with nothing but a shortwave rcvr, but it would pick up the SSB high seas weather broadcasts in the northern hemisphere, as it had BFO capability. Mostly I used AM weather from WWV. Never have figured out how to get wx via my sat fone. Was shown how once, but forgot before I was able to use it on the race.

Quote Originally Posted by bizirka View Post
    I found some discussion but not a final answer in another forum - I do apologize if it has been asked/answered already.

Does the Delorme InReach Explorer satisfy the comm reqs - I personally think it does and would love to use it instead of renting a satphone.

Jiri
    Yes it does. To be precise we are still closing with the software provider and conducting a physical test of some features, but we are certain we will go with the Delorme/Pinnacle-Tracking solution. There will be a daily check in requirement that involves the pressing of two buttons on the Delorme SE or Explorer units. This will fire off a ping of your position and will result in an email to the RC. Alternative methods can also be used - SSB/VHF to the Comm boat for example. The Comm plan is still in preliminary form but will include a full description. The prelim. version and the rules will be posted within a few hours on the SHTP page.

Regards,

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
    I'm with you Beetle. Can't imagine anyone going to sea without some means, tho. I went to French Polynesia and back thru HI with nothing but a shortwave rcvr, but it would pick up the SSB high seas weather broadcasts in the northern hemisphere, as it had BFO capability. Mostly I used AM weather from WWV. Never have figured out how to get wx via my sat fone. Was shown how once, but forgot before I was able to use it on the race.
    My first Pac Cup I copied the weather data via Morse code.

For 2016 we will have a requirement that some means be aboard for weather data. This could be SSB or satellite based. The SSB receiver will be suggested. At least that is the way we are leaning presently. The comm plan is still gel-ing.

pogen is offline Sailing canoe "Kūʻaupaʻa"

I might have mis-remembered about past SHTP rules, PacCup certainly had a "some means of wx" rule. One of the less burdensome rules, actually.

Quote Originally Posted by brianb View Post
    My first Pac Cup I copied the weather data via Morse code.

For 2016 we will have a requirement that some means be aboard for weather data. This could be SSB or satellite based. The SSB receiver will be suggested. At least that is the way we are leaning presently. The comm plan is still gel-ing.
    Would the Lat/Lon specific 72 hr ocens forecasts provided upon request to delorme inreach units via e-mail be acceptable for "weather data". This would fit the "satellite based" category. This worked pretty well for me during the LongPac.

Quote Originally Posted by mike cunningham View Post
    Would the Lat/Lon specific 72 hr ocens forecasts provided upon request to delorme inreach units via e-mail be acceptable for "weather data". This would fit the "satellite based" category. This worked pretty well for me during the LongPac.
    Hi Mike,

IS this a service you pay for ? The way to judge this is if the data they are sending you is not massaged by the provider, that is the weather info is no different than what one would obtain from NOAA wefax or public GRIB files then it is OK. If the provider is doing their own data interpretation than it would not be acceptable as it is now a custom forecast.

Regards,
    Brian