Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New boat for AlanH

Default New boat for AlanH

After seven years of doing the little boat thing with Vingilothiel, I made an offer on a "big boat" today and it was accepted. It's an S-2 7.9. 7.9 meters = 25' 11". The boat displaces about 4K and 1,000 of that is lead poured inside the boat. 600 more is a daggerboard that gets raised and lowered via a winch and tackle arrangement. They're self-righting even if the daggerboard goes away, though according to the class association, out of 550 hulls and 30+ years, that's never happened.

The design is very popular on the Great Lakes and New England, just not out here. The rig has a big mainsail and little foretriangle. The boom is 12 feet long on a 26 foot boat! It's fractionally rigged. Looking at the massive boom and comparing it to the weensy little spinnaker pole was a mental jolt!

Nobody has ever rated one with YRA, there's no number, but looking around the web suggests it'll fit in there around 168-172.

time to play with you all, again!

Name:  7.9Boat.jpg
Views: 587
Size:  152.4 KB
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

And it's trailer able! Toe rails for expensive blocks, looks like you already have double, unsheathed lifelines, spinnaker pole? Where will you keep it? I want to come see. What is her name?

Quote Originally Posted by Philpott View Post
    And it's trailer able! Toe rails for expensive blocks, looks like you already have double, unsheathed lifelines, spinnaker pole? Where will you keep it? I want to come see. What is her name?
    looks like Dura Mater, only not as (ahem) hefty. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNUQwoX6Ydg

Welcome back to the madness Alan.

It needs a good Scottish name.

Quote Originally Posted by Philpott View Post
    looks like Dura Mater, only not as (ahem) hefty. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNUQwoX6Ydg
    The deal with Joan was that the boat had to live on a trailer to save $$. HAD to. Well, that means <5K pounds, and under 4K would be nice, 'cause there are several 2 ton hoists in the Bay Area. So I watched CL for about 6-7 weeks looking for a Merit 25 or maybe a Capri 25 to come up for sale. I missed out on a Merit 25 in Los Angeles. I considered one of my favorite "niche" boats...a Ranger 24, but the only ones for sale were in San Diego and Portland. That's an awful long way to haul a boat and they weigh in at about 4K and their PHRF rating is about 217.. I can't afford the $10K + that it costs to buy an Olson 25 or a Moore 24. I really wanted a boat with a PHRF rating <200, though I'm partial to the old Excalibur 26's, for emotional and personal history reasons, which rate about 214. I'd have taken the Ranger 24, too if there'd been one for sale. I dallied with rescuing a trashed Sprinta Sport out of the Coyote Point Marina, but when the harbormaster cut up the rig and threw it in the dumpster....but kept the boat in a slip to make the marina look more full, I abandoned that idea.

Anyway, I wanted a boat where I could see a lot of the glass work and the bulkhead tabbing. After dealing with mystery leaks in my Santana 3030, which has a full hull liner, though not a headliner, I just didn't want to deal with one if at all possible.

Put it all together and there aren't a whole lot of boats that fit the criteria, and nothing was coming up for sale within 300 miles. Finally this S-2 7.9 appeared in Monterey. I knew nothing about the boat, but I recall that a lot of Midwest sailors on Pressure Drop and SA had good things to say about them. So I started browsing around and everything I read sounded pretty good. I know, myself, that on long races I am simply not aggressive enough to get full performance out of an ultralight. Also, I'm approaching 60 years old and it's time to gt a boat that's a little bit kinder on my problematic knee. And finally, while I've hoist-launched keelboats tons of times, it's never a happy-making event for me. Ditto for hauling a fixed-keel boat on a trailer on the open road. Having a boat with a daggerboard sounds much better.

Well the 7.9 has a hull liner, but it doesn't go higher than the berths, so there's that. So I went and looked at it. The thing is BUILT. The indoor-outdoor carpet liner has been pulled out of this boat so I can see the glass work. I'm impressed by the quaiity. The bulkhead tabbing is solid. I stomped around the deck and heard nothing. Yeah, the daggerboard trunk intrudes on the inside of the boat, but it's not *that* bad. I can deal with it. The boat had some good sails and some beater sails. Nothing terrible was wrong with it, though there's a really funky non-stainless steel stern pulpit that has to go.

I spent many hours reading through the One Design association forum and website. The previous owner trailered this boat to Mexico and spent 20 days on it with his brother and their girlfriends. Hmmmm. That says something. So all in all, it seemed like a pretty good way to go, and the price was *Very* right.

The clincher was that the Alameda Marina has a **Serious** spreader bar that will easily lift the boat on the 3-ton hoist. It's wide enough. I will have to provide my own straps but that's just $200, no biggie. See, since the boat has a daggerboard and the rest of the ballast is 'glassed into the hull, there are no keel bolts to lift from. So you lift this with straps or launch on a ramp.... straps for me.

I'm hoping to be on the water for the 3BF, we shall see!
    Last edited by AlanH; 11-16-2015 at 01:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AlanH View Post
    The deal with Joan was that the boat had to live on a trailer to save $$. HAD to. Well, that means <5K pounds, and under 4K would be nice, 'cause there are several 2 ton hoists in the Bay Area. So I watched CL for about 6-7 weeks looking for a Merit 25 or maybe a Capri 25 to come up for sale. I missed out on a Merit 25 in Los Angeles. I considered one of my favorite "niche" boats...a Ranger 24, but the only ones for sale were in San Diego and Portland. That's an awful long way to haul a boat and they weigh in at about 4K and their PHRF rating is about 217.. I can't afford the $10K + that it costs to buy an Olson 25 or a Moore 24. I really wanted a boat with a PHRF rating <200, though I'm partial to the old Excalibur 26's, for emotional and personal history reasons, which rate about 214. I'd have taken the Ranger 24, too if there'd been one for sale. I dallied with rescuing a trashed Sprinta Sport out of the Coyote Point Marina, but when the harbormaster cut up the rig and threw it in the dumpster....but kept the boat in a slip to make the marina look more full, I abandoned that idea.

Anyway, I wanted a boat where I could see a lot of the glass work and the bulkhead tabbing. After dealing with mystery leaks in my Santana 3030, which has a full hull liner, though not a headliner, I just didn't want to deal with one if at all possible.

Put it all together and there aren't a whole lot of boats that fit the criteria, and nothing was coming up for sale within 300 miles. Finally this S-2 7.9 appeared in Monterey. I knew nothing about the boat, but I recall that a lot of Midwest sailors on Pressure Drop and SA had good things to say about them. So I started browsing around and everything I read sounded pretty good. I know, myself, that on long races I am simply not aggressive enough to get full performance out of an ultralight. Also, I'm approaching 60 years old and it's time to gt a boat that's a little bit kinder on my problematic knee. And finally, while I've hoist-launched keelboats tons of times, it's never a happy-making event for me. Ditto for hauling a fixed-keel boat on a trailer on the open road. Having a boat with a daggerboard sounds much better.

Well the 7.9 has a hull liner, but it doesn't go higher than the berths, so there's that. So I went and looked at it. The thing is BUILT. The indoor-outdoor carpet liner has been pulled out of this boat so I can see the glass work. I'm impressed by the quaiity. The bulkhead tabbing is solid. I stomped around the deck and heard nothing. Yeah, the daggerboard trunk intrudes on the inside of the boat, but it's not *that* bad. I can deal with it. The boat had some good sails and some beater sails. Nothing terrible was wrong with it, though there's a really funky non-stainless steel stern pulpit that has to go.

I spent many hours reading through the One Design association forum and website. The previous owner trailered this boat to Mexico and spent 20 days on it with his brother and their girlfriends. Hmmmm. That says something. So all in all, it seemed like a pretty good way to go, and the price was *Very* right.

The clincher was that the Alameda Marina has a **Serious** spreader bar that will easily lift the boat on the 3-ton hoist. It's wide enough. I will have to provide my own straps but that's just $200, no biggie. See, since the boat has a daggerboard and the rest of the ballast is 'glassed into the hull, there are no keel bolts to lift from. So you lift this with straps or launch on a ramp.... straps for me.

Congrats on the boat. Nice discussion on a bad topic at IYC last night.

Congrats on the boat!

Hi Alan, Congratulations and welcome back!

Looking forward to see you out on the water.

Dirk

Quote Originally Posted by AlanH View Post

A name, a name....she is currently named "Blue eyes" which is fine, though it doesn't exactly thrill me. I can think of a mess of good Scottish names, but I have a really sweet battle flag left over from when I had my Santana 3030 with a huge "W" on it and I'd love to use it again. It was a present from Joan and it never hurts to make points with the lasses who make you stuff.

Anyway, it's time to buy an autopilot.

I can't afford or want to deal with anything with the letters "NKE" on them. The Raymarine EV-100 is $1500-$1600. Ouch. Double Ouch. NOT.

I've used Raymarine ST1000's and ST2000's exclusively for years. One well-used ST1000 got Ankle Biter to Hawaii after something busted off the paddle on the Navik Windvane. That was probably 8-9 days of nonstop driving. It finally died a day and a half out from Hanalei, and the 2000 got me the rest of the way. So I would probably be content with a Raymarine ST2000.. I mean, ST1000's got me through two LongPacs and all over the Bay and the Gulf of the Farallones all those years ago.

But now there's this Pelagic Autopilot product. It's $320 more expensive than the ST2000. Do I need it? Probably not really. BUT.... maybe if it really truly is that much better. I plan to use it for day races on the Bay and around the Gulf of the Farallones, and realistically between now and 2022, maybe one LongPac.

I'd love to hear some comments on this topic.

PS: Ms Philpott, check your messages!

Mr Heber, come sailing w me on Dura Mater and experience the Pelagic magic for yourself.