Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Alameda Marina Development

Default Alameda Marina Development

Following up on some previous "remembering" posts in Skip's thread, I was distressed to see this:

Alameda Marina Master Plan

The property is now owned by a developer in San Francisco (Bay West Development).

Having patronized many of the Alameda Marina businesses over the years, I wonder where they will go - also Island Yacht Club. Depending on which of these drawings you look at, the boat yard may still be there (it's not in the drawing with the arrows). Crackerboxes can be thrown up easily but boat yards on San Francisco Bay are irreplaceable.

If you want more information, there's a meeting Wednesday night (11/18) at 7:00 p.m. at IYC.
    Last edited by BobJ; 11-18-2015 at 11:04 AM.

Well, that's depressing. I knew it was only a matter of time but...

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    Following up on some previous "remembering" posts, I was distressed to see this:

Alameda Marina Master Plan

The property is now owned by a developer in San Francisco (Bay West Development).

Having patronized many of the Alameda Marina businesses over the years, I wonder where they will go - also Island Yacht Club. Depending on which of these drawings you look at, the boat yard may still be there (it's not in the drawing with the arrows). Crackerboxes can be thrown up easily but boat yards on San Francisco Bay are irreplaceable.

If you want more information, there's a meeting Wednesday night (11/18) at 7:00 p.m. at IYC.
    WHAT??????????????

When was this conceived? I had no idea. None. Zero. Zilch.
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

From what I can tell, something was filed all the way back in 2012. Perhaps with Svend's passing earlier this year it got moved to the front burner?

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    From what I can tell, something was filed all the way back in 2012. Perhaps with Svend's passing earlier this year it got moved to the front burner?
    I was just down there this weekend, for obvious reasons. I have to say that the % occupancy of the <30 foot berths is pretty grim. Also, there are fewer boats in the dry storage areas than there were, say 10 years ago. However, the place is hardly moribund.

I suppose the developers figure they can make a mint selling condos and townhomes...which is probably true.

I hate to be self-centered about this, but I just looked. The Brickyard Cove "big" hoist takes 4400 pounds, which covers my butt... but not by a whole lot, and I think the yard is pretty full. I forsee an F-150 pickup in my future. UGH.

If Svendsens goes there is literally no other place to buy gear but West Marine....and online.

Alan,
    Congrats on your new boat!!! We are all happy for you. Hoping for a pronounceable name
    I have a 2000 Ford Expedition that would pull your new vessel with ease...I'd be glad to loan, share, rent, or sell depending on needs.
    ~sleddog
    Last edited by sleddog; 11-17-2015 at 06:30 PM.

Thanks, Skip!

See, the deal with Joan was to buy a BOAT....not a boat and a truck. Ah, well. It will probably be at least a year before anything even starts to happen at Alameda Marina. I will deal with it, then. The Brickyard Cove hoist can handle this thing, in any case.

BTW, the Ideal 18's are fun boats. They'd be very tactical to race, sort of like a more modern Mercury. I sailed one for most of an afternoon about 4-5 years ago on a trip to Michigan.

The Brickyard Cove "big" hoist takes 4400 pounds
    I thought it was a 3ton? I know of a boat that launches there that is over 4400. If it's not 3 ton then my boat can only be wet sailed in the future.

It's rated as a 3-ton but they limit it to 4,400#. They're also rigid about beam - yours and mine are too wide to store in the parking area (that boat you're thinking about is right at the weight limit and lives at his shop). It's a much busier hoist than what you're used to and maneuvering is difficult on that pier. The good side is they have tractors so once the boat is there you could get along without a tow vehicle.

I think this is a business opportunity for someone. Do-it-yourself dry-sailing is a great deal (I did it for 3-4 years). But a 2-ton hoist isn't enough. We need to find space that's nowhere near getting gentrified (I've wondered about the Richmond channel area), buy a couple of three-ton hoists and set it up. Single-point lift only (slings are too dangerous for self-use by tipsy racers). Probably one paid operator to keep things running smoothly and organize the race-day chaos. Mega legal releases, insurance, etc.
    Last edited by BobJ; 11-18-2015 at 09:35 AM.

(that boat you're thinking about is right at the weight limit and lives at his shop)
    Not that one.