Thread: Plans To Redevelop Alameda Marina In The Works

Under a boat, in a marina in the San Francisco Bay

Default Plans To Redevelop Alameda Marina In The Works

And at a community meeting last night, the developer showed 4 or 5 iterations of the plan, none of which included ANY marine businesses. The boatyard, chandlery, sailmakers, metalshop, electricians etc.- all gone. 100% mixed retail and residential.

Good info, discussion and links here:

http://www.pressure-drop.us/forums/s...-redevelopment

This just in from another forum:

We have just learned that Sean Svendsen from Alameda Marina has been forced to resign and the Harbormaster, Brock Delappe has been terminated from duties.

Apparently the primary developer Bill Poland is is axe swinging mode....stay tuned...

Also from that other forum:

If you're sitting here reading this thread and you haven't done anything like write to the Alameda City Council members, with a copy going to the City Clerk, then...ahhhhh... well, you think about that.

Here's the City Council: City Council | City of Alameda

http://alamedaca.gov/node/860

Each council members name is a link to their own page which has an e-mail address in it. Keep in mind that e-mail is nice but e-mails can be deleted. However, WRITTEN LETTERS especially if a copy is sent to the City Clerk, can not be ignored or deleted.

Mayor Trish Herrera Spencer
    Vice Mayor Frank Matarrese
    Councilmember Tony Daysog
    Councilmember Marilyn Ezzy Ashcraft
    Councilmember Jim Oddie

AND send copies to the City Clerks office --

2263 Santa Clara Avenue
    Alameda, CA 94501

I would suggest that folks keep letters to two paragraphs and stick to two or three salient points. Half a page or three-quarters of a page is plenty. Do not imply that you are from Alameda if you don't live there. For heavens sake don't write four pages including your conspiracy theories about the Feds and aliens, OK?

I can hear it now... "I'd write but I don't want to get booted, too".

My friend, are you not paying attention? If Alameda Marina Development LLC is not stopped, you're going to GET BOOTED ANYWAY. Keeping your head down and doing nothing makes you the little puppet, squeezing out another 12 months (maybe) of relief from the merciful hand of the Developer. How long until YOUR 30-day notice is in the mailbox, huh?

This just in:

OK, here's the call-out for people who care about the future of the Alameda Marina to attend a City Council meeting on February 24th.

This meeting is technically about zoning, but it will be open to public comment. You don't HAVE to comment, but you can if you want to. We want to encourage people to be succinct and to just hit one or two points if you want to speak. You'll have something like three minutes. I don't run up to Alameda for every single SAWWaction meeting, but I will be at City Hall for this...for damn sure. SAWWaction.org is the group of citizens and boaters who are coordinating the opposition to the drastic development plan. At least 3 SSS members are involved in some capacity, including me.

Wednesday, February 24th.

Alameda City Hall
    2263 Santa Clara Avenue
    Alameda, CA

There are a number of topics on the agenda, and the Marina topic probably won't hit the floor until about 8:00 - 8:30. It could be later but better to be there around 8:00 and be sure that you're there at the time the issue gets discussed than to wander in at 9:30 and miss it.

Coming soon will be a link to sample letters addressing specific issues, which can be sent to Alameda City Council members.

If you want to attend- and the more, the better - e-mail Nancy Hird - nancy.alameda1@att.net and let SAWWaction know you're coming.

There will likely be more than one opportunity to speak to the City Council about the issue, but it's possible that a significant change or retrenching of the zoning could shut down the extreme development from the get-go. If you're concerned, THIS is a really good night to get on your calendar.

If you want to get updates and be on the SAWWaction mailing list, send an e-mail to join@sawwaction.org
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

Quote Originally Posted by AlanH View Post
    OK, here's the call-out for people who care about the future of the Alameda Marina to attend a City Council meeting on February 24th.

This meeting is technically about zoning, but it will be open to public comment. You don't HAVE to comment, but you can if you want to. We want to encourage people to be succinct and to just hit one or two points if you want to speak. You'll have something like three minutes. I don't run up to Alameda for every single SAWWaction meeting, but I will be at City Hall for this...for damn sure. SAWWaction.org is the group of citizens and boaters who are coordinating the opposition to the drastic development plan. At least 3 SSS members are involved in some capacity, including me.

Wednesday, February 24th.

Alameda City Hall
    2263 Santa Clara Avenue
    Alameda, CA

There are a number of topics on the agenda, and the Marina topic probably won't hit the floor until about 8:00 - 8:30. It could be later but better to be there around 8:00 and be sure that you're there at the time the issue gets discussed than to wander in at 9:30 and miss it.

Coming soon will be a link to sample letters addressing specific issues, which can be sent to Alameda City Council members.

If you want to attend- and the more, the better - e-mail Nancy Hird - nancy.alameda1@att.net and let SAWWaction know you're coming.

There will likely be more than one opportunity to speak to the City Council about the issue, but it's possible that a significant change or retrenching of the zoning could shut down the extreme development from the get-go. If you're concerned, THIS is a really good night to get on your calendar.

If you want to get updates and be on the SAWWaction mailing list, send an e-mail to join@sawwaction.org

UPDATE- meeting rescheduled for Tuesday, March 1st. The Marina topic will probably happen late-ish in the meeting, since it's #6 (or something) on the topic list. I'd suggest planning to arrive around 8:15 rather than 7:00 PM. Wear a blue shirt/blouse... If you want to attend and speak, or just participate in the show of support- and the more, the better - e-mail Nancy Hird - nancy.alameda1@att.net and let SAWWaction know you're coming.
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

The City Council meeting last night was well attended by fans of the marina- I'd say maybe 50 or so stayed until the bitter end (the agenda item wasn't called until well after 11:00 p.m. and discussion of it didn't end until after 12:30 a.m.) and the boating community was well represented by over 20 speakers who were eloquent and passionate. Interestingly, Bill Poland and his lackey left about an hour before the agenda item was reached and did not return. I'm sure he would have been interested by the position the Council took on the matter. The take-away was (IMHO) that the City Council is going to investigate modifying the MX zoning overlay at the Alameda Marina property, with an eye towards maintaining the vibrant, historic and irreplaceable marine facilties there. It is clear that redevelopment at the Alameda Marina is not a done-deal and Bill Poland may not get everything (or anything) he wants.