Thread: What is it?

Default What is it?

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 354
Size:  282.3 KB what flag is this?
    Last edited by Lightspeed; 11-22-2015 at 09:21 PM.

1) 1-1/2 Peruvian flags. What do I win?

2) A flag that won't be used in the next SSS race (as George Zimmer said, "I guarantee it!")
    Last edited by BobJ; 11-22-2015 at 09:37 PM.

It is 10 kts of breeze but the RC, once again, still can't seem to get the race off, likely they are out of beer ?

You 108 and under guys are a tough crowd.

So Commodore Al and I spent the weekend at a US Sailing Advanced Race Management Seminar learning how to herd cats on the water…Lots of fun “what if” scenarios for the race deck. As we await the TBF I thought I would share a few here..Break out your RRS book and get ready..

That class does advocate freely using the A/P flag. "Guy with the gun has to scratch? No worries, just throw up the A/P."

In our group it's hard for skippers to see flags and to get back on track after a postponement. We also do rolling starts and hard-wire the starting times into the SI's. All that has to be considered.
    Last edited by BobJ; 11-23-2015 at 10:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    In our group it's hard for skippers to see flags and to get back on track after a postponement. We also do rolling starts and hard-wire the starting times into the SI's. All that has to be considered.
    Agreed..SSS does a lot more that flags and sounds and for good reasons. My intent is not to change anything or play third degree RRS questions, but have some fun and help coordinate the race deck with the racers (especially any new members). The race deck works for the racers…

Let’s start slow and then have fun adding layers. It is the 2016 Corinthian Race and you have arrived a little late for the warning signal because there is no wind. As luck has it your VHF died right after you checked in so if you want to race today you must rely only on the race deck flags and sounds. You see only the AP flag raised. Assuming the wind arrives, what should you anticipate to see and/or hear next from the race deck?

Since the race has been postponed I will get to start on time!, maybe.

After the AP flag is dropped, the P prep flag is raised, five minute warning signal, a gun I think, and the countdown starts.

Then I watch for other boats in my group to head for the start and follow them !

Quote Originally Posted by Lightspeed View Post
    Agreed..SSS does a lot more that flags and sounds and for good reasons. My intent is not to change anything or play third degree RRS questions, but have some fun and help coordinate the race deck with the racers (especially any new members). The race deck works for the racers…

Let’s start slow and then have fun adding layers. It is the 2016 Corinthian Race and you have arrived a little late for the warning signal because there is no wind. As luck has it your VHF died right after you checked in so if you want to race today you must rely only on the race deck flags and sounds. You see only the AP flag raised. Assuming the wind arrives, what should you anticipate to see and/or hear next from the race deck?
    i have bribed the race chair w baked goods so that he has scheduled the slower boats to start first. So I just wait for the gun and sail through the start line and wave to the race committee as I go. BTW, Rick, what kind of cookies do you like?
    Last edited by Philpott; 11-23-2015 at 10:13 PM.

Greg…You win the RC’s first CA Scratcher (although Bob’s Peruvian Flag is still under consideration)…Brian is wrong, the beer has not had enough time to cool in the ice chest at the start but the RC might still might be waiting on the Starbucks recon crew to return.

Please note one point one part of clarification in your response. Our Corinthian friends (with all due respect) have decided to ban guns on the race deck so do not expect a BAG!

PS your RC is looking for a person who can yell BAG really loud!!!!...oh and Jackie I like chocolate chip cookies!!!!

I think 2016 will be a fun year.