Thread: SSB Receivers for WX

pogen is offline Sailing canoe "Kūʻaupaʻa"

Default SSB Receivers for WX

It is possible to buy very inexpensive SSB receivers for $100 - $200 that should work for receiving voice weather briefings on 4 - 8 - 12 MHz bands, as well as decode weatherfax when hooked to a PC with suitable software. There are a bunch of guides on cruisers forums that show how to do this.

I have a Grundig radio like this:

Like this one, http://www.amazon.com/Grundig-Globe-.../dp/B001QTXKEW but not as nice and cheaper.

and it really doesn't work. I got if from Defender for about $120, and I as it was the only radio like that they carried, I thought maybe it was useful for marine comms. The front end is overwhelmed by noise anywhere near civilization, and the only way I ever got it to work was by going way up to the hills one time.

Does anyone have a better experience with low-end radios? I have heard Sangean or Kaito might be better, or there is a Sony model that many think is good.

I also recently got a FUNCube Donble Pro+ RF receiver (an SDR, or "software defined radio") to fool around with

but I haven't had time to mess with HF yet ; though the VHF works pretty well.

The issue with SSB weatherfax is that the reports you are interested in are only broadcast a couple times per day, and only last a few minutes, so you need to be alert and making sure you are on the correct frequency at broadcast time. It would be cool to have a cheap system that was collecting everything as it came in for later perusal.

What type of antenna were you using with the Grundig. We've had good luck with ours connected to an insulated back stay.

Where were you when testing? I've heard even a good SSB rig doesn't work well around Pt. Richmond.
    Life is not a dress rehearsal.

Bermuda 1-2 on a Schumacher 28

pogen is offline Sailing canoe "Kūʻaupaʻa"

The antenna on the Grundig uses a single pole audio jack as input, I had a long wire on a pole (12' I think). No ground. My backstay is not insulated, that would cost way more than the radio.

I've got a bunch of links to software and so forth for weather fax, no time to organize now, will post later.