Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Race Deck Q2

Default Race Deck Q2

Question Two..It is the 2016 Corinthian Race and this time your VHF is working fine. SI’s say the warning signal is at 11:00 and you’re in the E flag Division so your start is 11:15. You got a late start from the dock and as you are motoring to the race, you hear the race deck counting down the starting sequence over the VHF. It is obvious you’re going to be late for your start. For the next CA scratcher (SSS Board members excluded), when must you turn your motor off? A)11:00 B)11:10 C)11:11 or D) 5 min before you cross the start line...Cheers from the Race Deck!!

C

Racing A boat is racing from her preparatory signal until she finishes and clears the finishing line and marks or retires, or until the race committee signals a general recall, postponement or abandonment

pogen is offline Sailing canoe "Kūʻaupaʻa"

You can motor until the Prep signal flag is displayed alongside of your Division E flag.

If you woke up late or couldn't find your keys and you are 15 minutes late crossing your start line, well, it sucks to be you, you still shut down 4 min before your fleet start even if you are still 2 nm away.

I have crossed the startline by as much as 20 min after my fleet start due to wind/tide and poor boathandling, that doesn't let me use the engine...

How about if it's the Three Bridge? The only Prep is at 0855 and your boat rates 105?

Hahahaha Rick is prolly rolling his eyes about now, trying to figure a way out of this circus.

What if you start at the wrong time because the RC changes the starting order of the divisions just before the first warning

TBF doesn't count -- that's why it's called a FIASCO!

C and E (of which the latter works only if there's not an automatic DQ for not starting within 15 min of your fleet's gun.)

Here's the answer for the Three Bridge (from its SI's):

ALTERNATE PROPULSION
    Per RRS 42.3(i), a boat may use any means of propulsion until five minutes before its assigned start time.

Now back to your regularly-scheduled quiz. Oh I meant to ask: What if there was a postponement? (Hi Rick.)
    Last edited by BobJ; 11-29-2015 at 12:00 AM.

Todd wins the scratcher. David actually schooled me on this one so I knew he would get it right. Bob, also win a scratcher because he not only anticipated the next question, he gave us the right answered! Gamayun, your are correct about the TBF and I hope to have some scratcher fun with that race a little later.

Let’s work on Bob’s next question. Race deck starts the race on time and C and D flags get off without a hitch. At 11:14 you hear two sounds from the race deck and see the AP over H flag. What just happened? Can you restart your motor? What happens with the C and D flags who have already started?

Races not started, including "your" start are postponed; further signals ashore.

coming out of postponement should be AP down; one minute; class warning... regardless of where the original sequence stopped.
    so, yes, motor about until P flag is displayed [again] for your class. That would be approx 2 min after AP down, 1 minute after warning signal coming out of postponement.
    perhaps repair to the bar and sort out this signals ashore business... :/

C&D are still racing, no change.

race committee better have a good reason for this, me thinks

Bonus question: Why do the SSS Classes/Flags start with "C" instead of "A"? (Old-timers can't answer.)