Thread: 2016 NOR & SSI Posted

Default 2016 NOR & SSI Posted

SSS Racers, please note David (thank you) has updated the SSS webpage to reflect the new 2016 schedule and the 2016 NOR's & the SSI's...Your SSS board has made several changes to the NOR's and SSI's for the 2016 season. Please take the time to read them and "your" race deck will be happy to field and questions on the new changes here...

Rick, I'm a bit puzzled by rule 9e. What is the criterion for "a boat that normally sails doublehanded"? If I sailed doublehanded last year, do I have to carry ballast if I do the Three Bridge solo but scored in DH?

I think I see what you're trying to accomplish with this rule - keeping skilled sailors from optimizing their boat configuration for the wind conditions, right? - but the terms seem a bit vague.

thanks
    Max

pogen is offline Sailing canoe "Kūʻaupaʻa"

It means, normally registered as DH in the context of season points.

So the rule won't kick in until after a few races are done?

Max, thanks for the question, the intent was to recognize a disparity with boats sailing double handed with only one body weight, competing against another with two body weights. We did not want to deny/exclude a double hander who had their crew bail at the last min so let them race with the150 lbs of dead weight evens the playing field for their competitors...Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Lightspeed View Post
    Max, thanks for the question, the intent was to recognize a disparity with boats sailing double handed with only one body weight, competing against another with two body weights. We did not want to deny/exclude a double hander who had their crew bail at the last min so let them race with the150 lbs of dead weight evens the playing field for their competitors...Rick
    What if he's not dead, but just real sick?

I hope those of us who don't care about Single/Double Handed SSS Season Champions can still just sail the races either way? I chose to sail some single and some double, depending on who among my regulars might be interested or if I just want to test my soon-to-be 76 year-old bones by doing myself. I suppose someday i can just buy a Google self-conning boat and watch me sail at home on my iPad?

So if my crew bails out the morning of the race I've got to get 20'ish gallons of water onboard, copy that.

Just a note to those changing the rules..... it is NOT an advantage to sail singlehanded in the doublehanded division. I sailed alone in the DH class once last year and the year before and it is much, MUCH more difficult even on a light wind day. There is NO advantage to have one less crew onboard weight wise except for a dingy or skiff which we don't allow to race. A second crew makes any sail changes MUCH easier (faster), they can hike to weather (much faster), sit on the low side when light (faster), 2nd brain on the course (OK, not always faster).
    Last edited by solosailor; 01-06-2016 at 09:46 AM.

Thanks Greg for your perspective. I didn't want to carp about the rule itself, just tried to point out that there's some vagueness in the wording. But for sure, the scenario you describe - needing to add 150 lb ballast on short notice because your crew canceled - makes the rule pretty much untenable as far as I can see.