Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Selftacking Staysail

And a spinnaker staysail?

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    Now that Gamayun is playing water polo, she's planning to get cockpit winches and a masthead 155 for KYNNTANA. You heard it here first.
    Bob, are you mocking my soon-to-be massive biceps from playing water polo? I'll have you know that I just installed the Tides Strong Track and can now jump the mainsail all the way up except for the last couple of inches. Hooyah! I also plan to get winches for the spinnaker (as soon as I start flying said spinny).

As one who has a self-tacking, cambarspar jib, I love it for short tacking, especially up the city front! It is a major pain for dead downwind sailing, which is not good for the polars either, so I try to avoid that point of sail. Some people call the self-tacking jib a widow maker. I sheet it in if going to the bow because it's not going to affect performance all that much. For light, upwind sailing, it would be great to have something like a jib top reacher on a self-furler (is that the right name?), but since I also need to install the Monitor, solar panel(s), and other upgrades like lifelines, going faster is a little low on my priority list right now, and I don't know if the reacher would stress the carbon fiber mast. I would be interested in knowing what Doug decides to do and how it works out. The Alerion self tacking jib looks pretty cool....

Bob- Great comments/observations- however with an electro-cardio condition- I am trying to reduce my 'workouts' . Doug

Thanks for joining in on my post- appreciate your thoughts - of course will let you all in on my final decision. Doug