Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: 2016 OYRA series and other YRA SH Racing

Default OYRA Farallones Race Report

We had four SH boats on the line for the OYRA fully-crewed Farallones race this Saturday. It wasn't quite as windy as forecast (max mid 20's) but the sea state was quite wretched and there was a BIG swell on the backside of the island. After the SSS pleasure cruise this year, I felt the need for a proper Farallones and this satisfied the bill. No whales, though.

For me, the wind was too far forward on the way back to set a spinnaker until the Lightship, and by then I was too knackered to bother (and it was still blowing pretty hard). Of course the wind died completely (from 20 to 4 knots within five minutes) at Bonita / Mile Rock. I finally set a kite just to get in the gate.

Not my best race, but no gear or bones were broken. And I learned more about the (disappointing) limits of my autopilot, which was my intent. All in all it was a good day on the ocean.

The OYRA Farallones was a good race, but I sure feel beat up!

I watched you guys, Kato & JouJou, pull ahead on the way out.

I managed to keep sight of Kato as we made for a starboard rounding. Not sure where JouJou went.

At the backside, where things really lumped up, my spinnaker pole came free from the deck and was only held with the downhaul.
    After getting it re-secured I thought I might lose my lunch. I eased off for the reach back and managed to rest a few moments, though I just wasn't ready to hoist.

Saw plenty of fast surfing under white sails though.

At lands end I planned to go north to Bonita, but the flukey wind I finally caught sent me toward Ocean Beach wing on wing, jibed again to make the South Tower, and had a nice reach to the finish.

Default ORYA Farallones pics

Name:  IMG_1655.jpg
Views: 424
Size:  404.4 KBName:  IMG_1658.jpg
Views: 394
Size:  346.6 KB
    All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it is vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they act their dream with open eyes, to make it possible.

T.E. Lawrence

That was lumpy! I learned that unless I am 100% focused the AP is better at steering through the waves then I am. I noticed Nightmare made up a good deal of time during my struggles to hand steer - he was great in the waves. After I let the AP do the steering, I hiked on the highside and took in a lot of food and water (I drank well over 100oz of water - more on this later). About 4 miles out from the islands, the wind went up, I saw wind in the high 20s (apparent) and in the 30s on the backside of the island. I don't think I will ever round the islands to starboard again. A monster wave stopped me dead in the water and I ended up sliding down the backs side and putting my spreaders in the water. I immediately jumped up to ensure the boats down-swell and MUCH closer to the islands were okay. I was pretty shaken up and gave the islands more space than most who were rounding to port. After this, I was hesitant to do anything with spinnaker and the angle was too hot for that wind speed (90 degrees). Per my pre-race plan I reached up to the north part of the course using my white sails to get a better angle on the bridge. I hoisted my A3 (no pole) and started surfing at 10-12 knots sustained all the way to point bonita. High was 15.8 - exactly what Olsons were made for. As always the winds at point B got the better of me and I got backwinded a bit too close to the rocks so I dropped the A3 and made a huge mess of my lines and went under main only for 5 minutes. Got the little sail up and wing on winged to the south tower and reached to the finish. I had an accidental jibe as I crossed the finish...great. Reached back to Sausalito in 28knots! I am 100% sore from the race. That night I had some more water and two post race beers. I woke up the next day super dehydrated. I had one Meclizine prior to the race, perhaps this was the cause of my dehydration. I usually take dramamine, but wanted to see how this particular solution worked. I think I will stick with dramamine. It was great to see some SHTP boats out there!!
    Last edited by bizirka; 06-13-2016 at 11:54 AM.

Name:  IMG_2861.JPG
Views: 431
Size:  80.5 KB

Here is a pretty cool shot of Truls
    Singlehanded multihull
    Name:  IMG_1661.jpg
Views: 298
Size:  309.9 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Daydreamer View Post
    Here is a pretty cool shot of Truls
    Singlehanded multihull
    Name:  IMG_1661.jpg
Views: 298
Size:  309.9 KB
    Greg, how do you take such great shots when you are sailing that very trippy racehorse of a boat?

Easy,
    In those moments when I'm not trimming, steering, fixing, untangling, or just hanging on for dear life, I let the autopilot steer and take pictures of anything nearby.
    Usually my feet or whatever is in the cockpit.
    Occasionally another boat is nearby and I'll click several shots, sometimes I windup with a good one.

I use my iPhone in a waterproof case. I really need to put a lanyard on that thing. I don't think "find my iPhone" works at the bottom of the Pacific Ocean!
    Usually I don't reach beyond the cockpit.

The closer the better. If I have to zoom it usually won't be a decent shot.

That amateur photography class years ago said, take LOTS of pictures to get a few good ones!

Always happy to share

Just checked the fleet assignments for OYRA HMB

Lineup is looking light.

Has everyone not going to Hawaii signed up for the Silver Eagle?

Does anyone else want to race to Half Moon Bay?

Someone, anyone, halooo.....

Greg, they add to the "fleet assignments" as they review the registrations for updated crew list and MER compliance. We can expect more boats as the week goes on.