Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 2016 OYRA series and other YRA SH Racing

Default 2016 OYRA series and other YRA SH Racing

Note the 2016 Northern California Sailing Calendar and YRA Master Schedule (A Complete Racing Guide): "We offer Divisions for full crewed boats, single and double handed boats and multihulls." p 41. This language is new. Maybe someone noticed that singlehanders pack the Berkeley midwinters' bleachers.

Quote Originally Posted by Philpott View Post
    Note the 2016 Northern California Sailing Calendar and YRA Master Schedule (A Complete Racing Guide): "We offer Divisions for full crewed boats, single and double handed boats and multihulls." p 41. This language is new. Maybe someone noticed that singlehanders pack the Berkeley midwinters' bleachers.
    Yes, indeedy. And that they get out there when few others want to go! Crazy buggers

OYRA's SHS (shorthanded) division is tough to win singlehanded. Years ago they gave singlehanders an extra rating credit but I haven't been able to convince them to reinstate that - no explanation has been given. I'd be all over it if we could get a singlehanded division.

Find here Andy Newell's reply to my request for clarification of the language. I can't imagine a more gracious or inviting response:

OYRA has traditionally had a shorthanded fleet (SHS) which includes single and double handed boats in the same group, split further by PHRF when there are enough boats. Most of the racers sail double handed but not always, and some mix it up during the season.

We are certainly happy to provide whatever fleets enough boats sign up for.

If enough folks want a single handed only fleet we can provide one. I’d say that if you can bring at least 5 boats that will make most of the races we can set up a single handed only fleet. I think if we set up a fleet with fewer boats than 5 we would have the problem of limited competition, just ask Truls, our lone multi-hull.

I have added Al [Germain] and Rick [Elkins] to the conversation. We are willing to be as flexible as possible to accommodate shorthanded racers and SSS for the whole season, a single race or even a group of races you designate. Just let us know what you want.

This is definitely interesting.

I will check the calendar to see how many races I can commit to.

Dang, just when my congenial and attractive crew pool have me thinking about going full-crew in OYRA.

Quote Originally Posted by Critter View Post
    Dang, just when my congenial and attractive crew pool have me thinking about going full-crew in OYRA.
    Oh yeah. I'll bet that will be a hard call.

Quote Originally Posted by Philpott View Post
    Oh yeah. I'll bet that will be a hard call.
    Mea culpa. Mea culpa. Mea maxima culpa.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I see my work here is nearly done.

This from Andy Newell: "We are willing to be as flexible as possible to accommodate shorthanded racers and SSS for the whole season, a single race OR EVEN A GROUP OF RACES YOU DESIGNATE (jp's capitalization). Just let us know what you want."

Since OYRA has offered to accommodate us, my proposal would be to ask OYRA for a singlehanded division on the following 4 dates: April 16/Lightship; May 21/ Duxship, July 16/Junior Waterhouse; and one of the TBD races/ August 6 or September 10, whichever is not Half Moon Bay. We already have our own Farallones and Half Moon Bay races, and we are scheduled to do Drakes Bay with OYRA on August 27/28.

If OYRA is interested in our participation, perhaps it will also be willing to offer us this schedule at a reduced rate. It is a great way to measure interest by singlehanders with less financial burden. It is also an opportunity for singlehanders to compete against each other in the absence of our very seaworthy 2016 Transpac participants. ;-)