Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Thread: 2016 OYRA series and other YRA SH Racing

After some early gains Ragtime caught up with me and we were pretty close going to Lightbucket, my competitiveness forced me to hand-steer most of the time, in yesterday's upwind conditions our boats were closely matched.
    When AWA dropped below 13Kn Bob was gaining. When above 15 I think I was able to gain or hold.
    Coming back I set the A2 but had an hourglass, so I took it down sailed with white sails for a while, but when I saw that Bob polled out his jib and started gaining I decided to hoist the Code 0. It worked fine until the south tower, when I got a little overpowered and decided to furl it and set the jib.
    However it unfurled and I kind of lost control of my boat. It is hard in these conditions, with no room to maneuver, to try to tame the beast, so I decided to blow the halyard and the boat went from 10Kn to 2.5Kn rather quickly.
    Luckily it was close to the finish which I passed rather embarrassed to be pulling the sail behind.
    I was able to successfully retrieve my sail with no damage.
    Fun race:-)
    Last edited by Henry D; 08-07-2016 at 08:15 PM.

A small correction. I did fly my spinnaker in the OYRA Jr. Waterhouse race, but I dropped it preemptively outside the gate. This proved prescient as it was blowing 22-30 all the way from the gate to Richmond. What I didn't do was jibe the spinnaker when it was up. I could not get my autopilot to steer predictably enough in the swell to have the confidence to head to the foredeck. This is becoming a real problem for me and any advice from SSS veterans on (symmetric) spinnaker jibes under autopilot would be appreciated.

It looks like there is one additional OYRA race after Drakes Bay (09/10/16 - OYRA 9 Race Committees Choice). I regret missing the race last weekend, but I couldn't bring myself to fork over another $60 for a SRE. Next year I will sign up for the whole season.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by tboussie View Post
    ...What I didn't do was jibe the spinnaker when it was up. I could not get my autopilot to steer predictably enough in the swell to have the confidence to head to the foredeck. This is becoming a real problem for me and any advice from SSS veterans on (symmetric) spinnaker jibes under autopilot would be appreciated
    Take crew - it's easier that way:
    http://sfbaysss.org/forum/showthread...5344#post15344

Or check with Max - he seems to have a good technique:
    http://sfbaysss.org/forum/showthread...5294#post15294
    Last edited by BobJ; 08-09-2016 at 11:03 AM.

pogen is offline Sailing canoe "Kūʻaupaʻa"

The crew did a lot to prevent this from going pear-shaped. Oh no, wait, they were all sitting on their butts.

The stability of the autopilot seems to be a function of price. I'm still waiting for one of Brian's Pelagic controllers to try - I've had his drive for about 18 months but still have my old Raymarine controllers. My current setup would probably not be stable enough to gybe the pole in heavy seas - fortunately I don't have to do that!

Marking the sheets and guys (so you know you have enough slack to gybe the pole before going forward) and plenty of practice are keys. Maintenance of the pole ends so they release properly, where you stand and how you grab the spinny sheet and pole release all help to keep control of the pole. Twinging down both sides may also help.

Erik Schwartz solo'ed a Santa Cruz 40 and used a snuffer to gybe his gargantuan masthead symmetric kite. He'd snuff it down about 2/3 of the way, gybe the pole and then un-snuff it. Pro's Bill and Melinda Erkelens used a snuffer on their Wylie Wabbit when racing in the Gorge, and when racing their Donovan 30 WOLFPACK in the recent Pacific Cup. You can borrow one of my snuffers (aka spinnaker socks or sleeves) if you want to try it. You can even run the snuffer's up/down lines back to the cockpit to shorten the amount of time spent on the foredeck.

Meantime here's MONSTER EXPRESS again, making it look smooth and easy in a ton of breeze in the Gorge:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ib2R4fr603I
    Last edited by BobJ; 08-09-2016 at 04:51 PM.

Most people, when they hear "sailing" think long sleek yachts, white wine in tall glasses, clingy dresses on beautiful women, lots of brightwork and light pouring into saloons with bowls of fruit sitting around. Whoever thinks of sailing that way should certainly steer clear of Tom Boussie and his style of sailing on Jou Jou. He's forever complaining about a disobedient autopilot, and if he isn't in a "washing machine" he's "hanging on by his fingertips". He always seems to end up in dire straits when he goes offshore, although he comes out alive every time.

Please, fellow singlehanders, do give him advice. Quick! And remind him that he's not alone. Tell him to look here at a very fine fellow singlehander who also found himself in some ... er... difficulty. His boat does, however, seem to have a good strong autopilot.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Philpott; 08-09-2016 at 10:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    I'm still waiting for one of Brian's Pelagic controllers to try - I've had his drive for about 18 months but still have my old Raymarine controllers.
    I saw Brian Cline (s/v Maris, Transpac 2014) yesterday at the Berkeley marina. He told me that, when he walked the dock of the Corinthian Yacht Club the night before the race this year it seemed everyone had a Pelagic. Smiling, he asked whether it was on the list of safety requirements this year. Of course, Maris has one, too. So does Dura Mater. And no, I get no kickback.

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    You can even run the snuffer's up/down lines back to the cockpit to shorten the amount of time spent on the foredeck.
    Then you only have 57 lines in the cockpit, ready to clutch at you, tangling around your ankles, grabbing at the antenna of the DSC/gps vhf hanging out of your pocket, wrapping around the gear shift and just messing with your mind which already has too much consider. Don't do it, Tom! Don't borrow Bob's sock! It's a trick. Oh, wait. I just borrowed his ATN mast climber. Well, let's see how that goes, first.

I'm setting up chairs on "O" dock and selling tickets.
    Last edited by BobJ; 08-09-2016 at 10:15 PM.

Philpott up a mast?!! I'll bid $25 for those tickets, I'll be wearing my Statler or Waldorf mask, can't decide which yet, and get my heckle on!!

But seriously Jackie, need some help?